Principles

Akanksha Thakur was unexpectedly having fun.

She wanted to note all of Karan's reactions. They walked towards the Sagar Railing, their paces slightly slower than a jog.
'What will you do if I tell you what I know?' Akanksha asked to end the shortage of conversation. Both of them knew they had enough to think about in their minds. She was trying to provide a distraction.

'What will you do if I tell you what I know?' Karan answered, almost a whisper. His eyes were fixed on the paved ground, deep, dark and thoughtful.
'Huh?' Akanksha slowed down.
Karan glanced at her and smiled.
'What do you mean?' Akanksha narrowed her eyes.
'Over every mountain, there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley. Quoted Theodore Roethke once upon a time.' Karan said.
They stood before the Sagar Railing.

Akanksha looked up at the sky. The sea spread out before them. She fingered the metal.
'I don't know what you're thinking, but,' She looked into his eyes, 'You and only you can save yourself. From whatever it is that you're scared of or worried about. The only thing that depends is your choice to act.'
'Quoted by Akanksha Thakur.' Karan smiled.
The waves were loud.
'Thanks.' Said Karan after a while, 'What you said right now really helped.'
'I see.'
'I hope everyone like me out there finds someone like you in their life.' He said seriously.
'And I hope everyone like me comes to some use to everyone like you out there.' Akanksha said, 'At least once, in their life.'
'Our talks always end up like this, don't they?'
'You are the one who starts the diversion.'
Crows croaked at a distance.

'You never did tell me about your parents.' Akanksha said.
'What do you mean?'
'You know what I mean.' She said, 'Do they know what you're always thinking?'
Karan laughed a dry laugh.
'I wish.'
His solemnity made Akanksha turn towards him.
'Uh...' She just couldn't find the words to begin her sentence with.
Karan cast her a suppressed look.
'Why?' She managed finally, 'Do your parents work?'
'They used to.'
A weight started to form in her chest.
'They... don't anymore? Where are they now then?'
She didn't know what he would say. But she could guess.

A point toward the sky.

'Up there.' He said.
The weight in her chest was huge now.
'Up... up in the air?' She choked out, trying to hold back whatever it was that was making the back of her throat ache.
A sad smile dawned on the boy's face.
'Higher than that, Akanksha.'

And all through the rest of the week, Akanksha couldn't forget that smile.

She knew that that wasn't the end of their conversation. She would've continued. But resisted from doing so.
That weekend, she bailed out on hanging out with Shweta at the mall. For the first time.
The weather was another fine one that Saturday morning. Akanksha had no idea why she'd rejected Shweta. She felt blank.

After breakfast and some distracted studying, Akanksha convinced herself to seek some fresh air. Thus, she stepped out of the house and stood in her front yard for a while, skimming her eyes over the far stretches of her neighborhood.
It hadn't been more than a minute or two, when a familiar head popped up from the end of the street. The boy was riding a black bicycle, the wind whipping his dark hair to and fro.

Akanksha stared. Focusing on every inch of the incoming person.
The wheels of the bicycle skidded to a stop in front of her gate.
Karan waved at her.
'Hello.' He said softly. His eyes had an atypical gleam in them that could've attracted any girl's attention. His sharp features and fair face glowed under the nine 'o' clock sun.

Akanksha knew she was right when she thought him to resemble a model.
'Hi.' Akanksha managed after a reluctantly short, thirty-second staring spree.