Up In The Air

Akanksha Thakur tried to smile.

But failed badly. 
The summer vacation had started and it had been a week since the disaster shook her and her friends. The others at school got to know later.
His funeral had been held a few days later. It had rained that day. And Akanksha couldn't it.
There was more to all the emotions. So, so much more.

Now she was in her room, and Shweta and Kashish had come over.
'How are you two feeling?' Shweta asked to break the silence that was eating them whole.
'I feel great.' Kashish said with a stupid smirk.
'There's enough sarcasm here already, dude. We don't need more.'
'You?' Kashish addressed Akanksha who sighed.
'I don't know anymore.' She said in a low tone, 'I'm surprised at myself.'

'You know what he had said to me before he left?' Kashish began.
'Oh, you never told us about it after that.' Shweta said.
'Yeah. I was not in the right mood.'
'So what did he tell you?' Akanksha said.
'He told me that he was leaving you in my care.' Kashish said and scoffed sadly, 'That little punk. He was such a kid.'
Akanksha laughed dryly, then covered her mouth with her palm.
'I dunno why I'm saying this, but I'm gonna miss that guy.' Kashish said, almost inaudible.
'We're all gonna miss him.' Shweta added.
And Akanksha was gonna miss him the most.

'So... you were gonna let us hear the audio video?' Kashish changed the topic before the vibes got worse.
Akanksha nodded and proceeded to fetch the CD that she would treasure for the rest of her life and played the audio video again for the others to hear.

"..... Ahm... uh... um... I'm Karan Jeswani... uh..
Okay this shouldn't be a bad idea. I hope it isn't. But here goes..."
The karaoke track for Channa Mereya started playing.

"... Accha chalta hoon..
Duaaon mein yaad rakhna...
Mere zikr ka, zubaan pe swaad rakhna...

Dil ke sandookon mein
Mere acche kaam rakhna...
Chitthi taaron mein bhi,
Mera tu salaam rakhna...."

Karan sang the whole song with determined devotion, each part of it, each tune, sound and emotion behind it touched the three listening intently to it.

"Channa mereya mereya,
Channa mereya mereya,
Channa mereya mereya Beliya..
O piya....."

The song followed few seconds of silence before Karan's enticing voice sounded again.

".... I hope you now clearly understand why I always said the lyrics of this song suit me. However.... it might only apply to the beginning of the song.
I'm glad I was able to sing it to you, (or whoever listens to it later) before I ... leave.

I didn't make a video because I want you to remember my face. Keep me in your heart. Too dramatic?
But then again, I was always like this, wasn't I?

Let me apologize again before I continue.
I'm sorry, I lied. I lied till the end. I'm so sorry, Akanksha. And I'm sorry for lying to the others too... Shweta and Kashish too.
I thought it wasn't necessary to tell you about my condition. I kept everything from you. I couldn't help it. I was afraid. And I just wanted you to be happy.