Chapter 1: A Morning Meeting

Tirnel POV

As usual, morning dawned quickly, the kingly weather heralded by cloaks of birds spread over the daybreak sun. The sky hastily turned itself from gold to blue, light wispy clouds framing a perfect day, the azure blanket that warmed the turning earth. Glowing houses, if they could be called that, they were more like temples or castles, glistened beautifully. Songs could be heard resonating from each and every nook in the valley, merry, joyful voices calling out to happy companions. Outside, the great darkness grew, taking away every happy memory, but not here. A oasis of calm in the eye of the storm.

I sighed, picking myself up out of the cosy warmth of my bed, shivering in the cool breeze. Rubbing my eyes, I walked over to a beautiful oak closet, decorated with swirls of gold, and pulled out a crumpled blue dress. Sighing, I shook it out, before pulling the soft fabric over my head. Just as I was about to fasten up a darker coloured over gown, the door flung open and someone burst in. Someone, or more specifically, my sister.

She was fully clothed in a pink gown, and light brown shoes. Something was definitely amiss, Faineth never woke up this early unless it was really vital. I narrowed my eyes.

"What is it?"

She looked around, dark blonde hair swishing in her eyes.

"I thought we could.... go for a ride?"

"Sorry Faineth, I have important business to attend to with Oreth. We have to see Lord Elrond about.... Something."

She smiled deviously, her lips curling up just the slightest bit.

"I knew it! You and Oreth got invited to the council! You have to tell me-"

I clamped my hand to her mouth, rolling my eyes and saying in a low tone, "Sorry Fai, I really am going to be late."

With that, I sprinted from the room, leaving my irritating younger sister behind me. And then, predictably, I fell down the stone steps, glasses flying from my face. I hated being the only elf in Imladris, if not the whole of Arda, who had stupid eyes. They were not fitting, and definitely not useful. I flushed as I picked up my glasses, hearing Faineth's laugh from behind me.

I was going to be late, I thought, staring up at the sky, as I ran on.

Finally I reached the place I'd agreed to meet Oreth. She wasn't there, so I sighed. I didn't even know where the council was being held, or what it was about, so I just walked towards the source of the noise.

Entering the circular room, I saw a large amount of people, elves, men and even a couple of dwarves. I scowled with annoyance as I slid into my seat, hoping that Lord Elrond wouldn't be angry, and that I'd actually understand what was going on. Luckily, he'd only just started speaking, and as I watched his deep grey eyes seemed to be swallowed by sadness, the glistening stars fading as he explained how the hobbit and his companionship had travelled from Imladris to destroy the ring. I had heard it all, up until he hit us.

"The fellowship has fallen."

I gasped, as did the majority of people. Catching Oreth's eye, I saw she was listening intently, her face full of shock.

Legolas, Estel and their companions were.... dead? It could not be so.

"No, not dead," he continued "I have called you for a simple reason- but first, let our guests speak. They have travelled long to bear this harsh news. These," he said, gesturing to a pair of dark haired, unshaven men, "are Alric and Alden, brave men of Rohan, who have travelled far to us, in the cruel hours of morning."