Chapter 10: Leaving the Golden Wood

Oreth POV

I had known that we would have to leave Lothlorien, but I had wished and hoped that it would not be this soon. We had been here for a week, and the outside world was calling. Heart heavy in my chest, I changed out of one of the beautiful gowns that Mistil had provided me with, this one soft and peridot coloured, the hem rimmed with foamy lace. I dressed in much the same way as I had before we came to here, a simple green tunic over leggings and a shirt so that I blended in with my surroundings. Pulling on my shoes I took a last look around the flet that I had shared with Tirnel and Faineth. It was beautiful, as was this wood, perhaps when the war was over I could come back here with Alden and we could live in this peaceful place.

I turned to see the sisters come into my room, and smiled sadly at them. “Ready to leave?”

“Not really,” Faineth replied “but I suppose we have to, the Stone awaits us.”

I shouldered my bow and quiver, making sure that they were both securely fixed. We made our way down, to where the others stood, Mistil with them.

“I do not envy you this quest,” she was saying to Bria “but I hope we shall meet again, in some time when war does not hang over this part of Arda. Be brave, Ironfrost, and go with kindness to whoever you meet.”

Bria nodded quickly, and I detected a little pride in her stubborn face.

We began to walk down the hill, through the city. Many of the elvish inhabitants came from their homes and stood to watch us leave. Some smiled, though many looked wistful, sad or afraid. One elf girl ran up to me. She only came up to my knee so I bent to listen.

“I, I wanted to give you this…” she said quietly, and placed a single mallorn leaf in my palm. It was an autumn leaf, golden, and the girl had clearly treasured it since the day she’d plucked it, for it was rubbed thin.

“Thank you.” I said, my voice quavering “It’s a beautiful gift, more than I deserve.”

The little girl smiled up at me, as her mother pulled her away. I stood, and walked swiftly to catch up with Tirnel. “What did she give you?” she asked inquisitively, peering over her glasses and at my hand.

“A golden leaf of Lorien.” I said “So that I may remember their kind generosity even more.”

Tirnel smiled sadly. “Kind generosity will be scarce in the times to come, Oreth. I think you will cherish that gift even more than you know.”

We walked on in silence, until we came to a green field by the banks of a river. Where the Silverlode meets the Anduin I thought.  Two silver clad figures stood by the waters, and when they saw us, began to walk forwards. Galadriel and Celeborn looked pensive as we approached. When Galadriel stepped forward to speak her voice was loud and regal.

“Boron of the Dunedain, Tirnel of Rivendell, Thannor of Rivendell, Bria Ironfrost of the Iron Hills, Oreth of Rivendell, Alden of Rohan, Alric of Rohan, Caranel of Gondor, Ofi of the Iron Hills, Faineth of Rivendell. This quest has already been difficult, painful and important. We will therefore bequeath to each of you a gift, as we did to the first fellowship that came before you. Would that we could assist you more than with humble presents.” She stepped forwards and gave each person their gift.

“First, to you, Boron, we give a map that shows each and every corner of Middle Earth in such great detail it would seem as if you were soaring above it.” He thanked her profusely, taking the rolled up parchment.

“Next, to Tirnel, I gift you with a vial of the water from my mirror.” As Tirnel walked up to her and took the stone, leaf shaped container, Galadriel looked her in the eye. “It is connected to the person who bears it, so may it be that you can look into this when you are far from home, and remember the happiness that you once had.” Tirnel nodded, a small smile appearing on her lips, and took her gift, placing it in the pouch with the Shard.