Chapter 6: Walking, Walking and More Walking

A/N: Dear world, let it be known that after this chapter i will be unfortunately murdered by a member of my friends who i shall not name. Sorry, it had to happen;)

Chapter 6: Walking, Walking and More Walking

Bria POV

My Ma had always said that if I went on an adventure I would learn things about myself. One thing I had definitely learnt was that I hated walking. No, I hated walking with a passion. As the others sped on ahead I trudged behind. I couldn't use the fact I was considerably shorter than the rest, as Ofi seemed to be keeping up fine. My feet seemed to drag on the floor, and my energy began to lack. We had been walking for a week and a half since Faineth had arrived and though Tirnel had accepted she was coming, her attitude towards me had grown ever more colder. I had no clue why she hated me, it wasn't like she had a widespread hatred for dwarf-kind. Tirnel regularly conversed with Ofi and she bore no loathing toward him.

As I walked (well, tried to walk) I thought about the battle. How had the Orcs and Wargs found out about us? Would someone have sold us out? It couldn't be. We were all united under a common enemy that all sought to destroy. I did not think that was the case. Perhaps they had simply heard our council, or there had been spies around as we spoke. Or it could simply be that they had been in the area. Being around all these elves had made me too superstitious.

As if to shake off the thought I sped up my pace to chat to Ofi. While we spoke I felt a horribly sticky feeling all over my body. It was brighter today than it had been any other day, and the hot sun beat down on my back. Panting I reached for my water skin and sipped from the blissfully cool liquid. The drops stained my tongue with joy, and I laughed to myself. Feeling a lot happier, and more energised as well, I reached to a large bush and snapped of a branch to use as a walking stick. In front of me, both Alric, Tirnel and Boron tensed, but didn’t turn. I laughed sheepishly to Ofi, who whacked me on the back.

“That’s right Bria! That’s right!” He said jokingly.

A few minutes later Faineth, who had been walking with Caranel, halted mid step. She pointed into the distance and spoke.

“Are those not the Mountains of Moria that we shall cross?”

I craned my neck, and yes, I could just about see the 3 tall peaks.

“Caradhras, Cebedil and Fanuidhol.” Whispered Boron “Proud and tall they stand, but cruel and heartless may they prove…”

I did not understand the depth of his words, but my attention had been diverted to Tirnel and Faineth. I could have sword I saw a tear run down the eldest sister’s face, as she pulled her sibling into a swift embrace.

“This ’tis a journey we know all too well. The last time we walked the pass of Caradhras was one filled with sorrow and mourning.”

Faineth pulled out of the hug and turned to her. “Sister, let us not dwell on the past, but look to the future with a hopeful heart.”

I turned away to give them some family time, but in my heart I wondered exactly what the sorrowful mourning past was exactly. Was it connected to me in any way? I knew it would be wrong to intrude in on their privacy, so did not intervene.

As we stared into the distance, Caranel raised a trembling hand to the sky.

“W, what are those?”

A black cloud of dark menace was soaring towards us at top speed. Glancing to the sky, Thannor gasped. The male elf’s face went white pale as he spoke hurriedly.