Chapter 16

I sipped my coffee. "So that's what happened over the last 6 years."

Celia gaped at me. "Oh my god, America."

Kamber rubbed her face, as if my own story personally stressed her out. "That's...that's a mess. I'm so sorry."

"Yeah. Well they are events I put into motion so I get what I deserve."

Celia blew on her tea. She doesn't drink coffee anymore. "If you think about it. It's all our brothers fault."

I laughed softly. "I wish I could blame it all on Aspen, but I'm afraid I can't. We're actually cool now. He works as a guard at the palace and I see him every once in a while. We talked and I don't really blame him for what happened."

"That's probably because you found a new beau," Celia giggled.

"Who is a prince!" Kamber added. She added extra sugar to her mostly creme cup of coffee. Some people never change.

"Yeah well that's all over now," I sighed.

"What's all over now?" A little voice asked.

"Good morning sweetie," I greeted.

"Good morning Kendallyn," Celia And Kamber chorused.

"Are you hungry?" I asked.

She nodded, climbing on to the chair at the kitchen table.

I got up and busied myself with making her a bowl of cereal while Celia and Kamber chatted with her. I took a deep breath. I have to remember to always breathe. I set the bowl of Cheerios in front of Kendal, placing a spoon next to her.

"How'd you sleep?" I asked.

She frowned. "Not too good. I had a weird dream."

"Why don't you tell me about it?" I said, raising my coffee to my lips.

"It was about you and my dad. Except I don't know who my dad is so it was just a dark figure."

My hand froze, my coffee mug inches from my mouth. I set it down quietly.

"What makes someone your father?" She continued.

"Well, I...." I looked at Celia for help. She hid her face behind her tea mug. "May I ask why your asking?"

She looked down, finding great interest in the pattern on her nightie. "I was just..wondering."

"Well, Uh. Your father is someone you love and that you look up to and who cares about you."

"Okay," Was all she said, shoveling cereal into her mouth.

I stared at the swirls of my coffee, lost in thought. Why was she asking? Did she somehow know Maxon was her real father? I shook my head. No. She couldn't. But she doesn't have a father and she is probably starting to wonder what it's like with one. If only I hadn't messed up my chance with her real one.

Kendallyn hopped off her chair, taking her cereal bowl to the sink.

"I got it honey," Kamber said, rushing to help her rinse her dish off and put it in the dishwasher.