Chapter 27

Sorry about missing last weeks chapter but school just started and I'm really busy. But here it is!

"Do you ever have a break?"

I froze, my fork inches from my mouth. I looked over to where Amberley had spoken from her spot across from me.

"Um..." I set my fork down. "Me?"

"Yes."

"From.....eating?" I asked.

"No," She laughed. "From being a mother. You're always with Kendallyn and even when you're not, you're worrying about where she is. You need a break."

"I can't really take a break from being a mother. Nor do I want to," I said.

"But you need to," Amberley insisted.

"Mom—." Maxon tried to interrupt.

"I'll watch her!" Amberley said excitedly. I was beginning to think this whole conversation was a set up and that I had no control over what was happening. "You can go to the spa or spend the day with my son or with your family or..."

"Amberley, you don't have to create reasons to spend time with Kenny. You can just ask," I assured her.

She smiled sheepishly. "You need a break..." She trailed off, admitting nothing.

"I wanna hang out with Grandma!" Kendallyn said, speaking for the first time since the plate of cheesy hash browns was put in front of her. It was a shout as if she had just realized she was supposed to say that and I'm starting to think she may be in on this too.

I rolled my eyes. "Fine. I'm feeling really tired and think I may spend today in my room. Amberley, would you want to watch—."

"I could watch—," Maxon tried to interrupt.

"I would love too!" Amberley exclaimed.

I chuckled at her antics. Kendallyn was lucky to have gotten so much grandma time as of late.

I grabbed Maxon's hand. "Wanna spend the day with me?"

"I have a meeting after breakfast but I'd loved to afterwards," He smiled.

"Do the advisors get mad that you spend so much time with me?" I teased.

"A few sleepless nights of work more than makes up for a day with you," He said. He squeezed my hand and brought it to his lips, placing a kiss against my palm. "What were you thinking about doing?"

I hadn't really planned anything farther than Maxon and I spending some quality time together. You would think there would be an abundance of things to do in the palace and in many ways there was. But this wasn't a new relationship for Maxon and I. We've been together for around 8 months if you count the time we were apart. And we knew each other longer than the time we were dating for. We don't need the big grand 'first date' mentality. We can just hang out and relish in being together.

Except Maxon is looking at me with those deep brown hopeful eyes that make me melt everything I look into them. And the way he is looking at me is telling me that he wants to do something 'first date'-y because he hasn't had many dates. And he wants every one to be perfect. But I don't have perfection planned.