Chapter 31

"Do you think blue or red?" I called out the door from where I stood in my closet. 

"Green," Celeste replied monotone.

I sighed in frustration and poked my head out the door, sending her a fierce glare. "Celeste I'm serious."

She threw the magazine she was flipping through down beside her on the bed. "Girl, chill."

"Chill," Kendallyn repeated from where she was sitting at the vanity and coloring.

"My dress is critical and I think I've worn all these before. Am I allowed to wear a dress more than once?" I asked.

"As the entertainer, sure," Celeste said. She crossed one leg over the other. "As the future queen of Illea......probably not."

"What am I supposed to do? I can't—."

Three distinct knocks sounded against the door in succession, silencing my thoughts before they left my lips. I looked at Celeste and then back at the door.

"Are we expecting someone?" I asked.

Celeste shook her head. "Is Maxon supposed to stop by?"

"No, he is at a meeting..." I said. I looked at the door calculatingly as if I could see who was on the other side.

"I'll get it!" Kendallyn cheered, hopping off her seat and bouncing towards the door.

"Kenny, your not supposed to answer the door if you don't know who it..." I trailed off as she pulled the door open, revealing Lucy and two other maids.

"Miss," the maid to Lucy's left spoke, dropping into a deep curtsy. Lucy and the other maid, who held a thick plastic bag, followed. I did a double take. Lucy has certainly never bowed to me before now.

"Why are you bowing?" I asked Lucy.

She lifted her head up. "It's protocol when addressing a lady."

"Lady...?"

The tallest one with deep brown hair straightened up and slid past me into the room. Lucy and the other one followed after. The tall one addressed me. "I am Anne and this is Mary and Lucy. We are your new full time maids."

"My maids...? You must be mistaken, I don't have maids."

"You didn't have maids," The other one corrected. Mary. "But now you do. This is to be your first of many balls and you'll need help preparing."

I blinked a few times but they were already taking over the room. Kendallyn moved to sit next to Celeste and the two of them just watched curiously.

"I've prepared for balls before," I tried to argue.

Lucy walked in and out of the closet, returning with a pair of shoes. "This isn't any ordinary ball. Didn't Prince Maxon tell you? The royal families of both France and Italy are going to be in attendance."

"What?" I yelped in surprise.

"Oh yes," Anne pitched in, who I was quickly learning was the head maid. "And it's a big deal that the Italian Family is here. They've always been very hesitant to align with Illea. But I heard from Princess Daphnes head maid who heard from Princess Nicoletta's maid, that your the reason they've reached out. Italy thinks that you may be a good change."

I could feel the red creeping up my face and I didn't want to know what my expression looked like. Italy is reaching out because of me? So I'm supposed to be some sort of sponsor for all of Illea. Great. Celeste snickered at me and collected her purse and things together.