CHAPTER 1 | FIRST WORDS

Tobu Tojo Line's Ikebukuro station was their last stop on their journey to the city that was now their new home. Katerina and Mikado exited the train swiftly dragging their belongings behind them while thinking about where this city would take them. They both had never gotten the chance to leave their hometown, Kat since her adoption and Mikado since he was born because of the way their parents lived and they practically had to beg to get this far.

Mikado had been feeling a slight nervousness run through his body as they made their way through the station, Kat had felt excitement at the prospect of meeting new exciting people, she had always had a taste for adventure but it had to be put on hold since her adoption.

Mikado bumped into a stranger on their way, "sorry, I didn't mean to..."  Kat smirked at the dejected expression she knew was on Mikado's face when he bowed as the stranger continued on walking, not even sparing him a glance. She knew it was his first time he had been in a big city but it wasn't hers, so she knew to expect to brashness from it's citizens.

"Come on, Mikado. Let's not look so sad when we've only been here for five minutes." Kat advised, going to drag him when they heard Mikado's named being called by a blonde haired boy.

"Masaomi?" Mikado questioned.

"Was that a question? Sounded like one. So now you get 3 answers to choose from... 1. Masaomi Kida, 2. Masaomi Kida, 3. Masaomi Kida." Kat resisted the urge to roll her eyes at the boys attempt to joke as she watched the reunification of the two friends unfold before her.

"Wow, Masaomi! No way! It's really you?"

"I spent 3 years coming up with that one and he totally ignores it. I missed you, man!" The two boys smiled at each other for a moment before they turned their attention to Kat who stood quietly, intently watching their exchange.

"And who is this lovely red-haired beauty?" Masaomi asked as his eyes trailed up and down her, from her dainty figure to her blue and green eyes. Kat smirked in a flirty manner back at him and twisted her dyed locks between her fingers, giving a fake giggle to play along with him.

"This is Katerina, my adopted sister, she came with me and will be going to Raira with us as well!"  Mikado stuttered out enthusiastically.

"Oh yeah, you never mentioned she was such a beauty. Where are you from again?"

"My parents were from Russia and moved to Japan, it's nice to meet you, Masaomi, you can call me Kat." She bowed and Masaomi returned it before speaking again to change the subject. "Come on. Let's go. Get out from underground. I feel like going west today. But we're not taking the west exit, we're gonna take the Seibu exit."

Masaomi was smart enough to know not to ask about her parents fearing they had died, the look in her eyes made him think she didn't care all that much, and perhaps that was true but a façade was something that anyone could put on easily about such touchy subjects.

He wasn't sure though, he was not like any other girl he had seen before, her eyes were two different colours, a forest green orb and another a sea blue. Kat's hair had obviously been dyed as her burgundy red hair was anything but natural, but other than her hair she was a natural beauty, slim with slight curves and clear skin smiles. Something exotic in the sea of brown eyes and black hair of the native Japanese in Ikebukuro.

Masaomi wondered if she could be ordinary when she looked so extraordinary. He doubted it because the two facial expressions he had seen cross her face was her looking intently onwards and an expression that reminded him of someone he knew not too long ago, and the smirk she held irked him to no end.

Kat's smile only widened. It had only been a few hours and she had already met a bunch of colourful characters in this city, Kyouhei's gang and Simon Brezhnev. When they ran into Kyouhei's gang Erika and Walker had immediately taken to comparing her to anime and manga characters, Erika even slightly sexually assaulted her the whole time, grabbing her medium sized chest and saying perverted things while Kat giggled uncontrollably because it tickled before Kyouhei saved her from her peril.