CHAPTER 4 | JOB OFFER 2

"Man, that was truly impressive. Trying to save the oppressed girl from the bullies? So Masaomi, it's been a while." Masaomi's face turned stone cold when Izaya spoke from beside Kat. Both could see the fact that he didn't want to be here but both ignored it.

"Yeah, it has." Was Masaomi's short reply.

"That's a Raira Academy uniform, yah? Well done on getting in."

"Oh, right, thanks. I didn't expect to see you, Izaya. You're not normally in Ikebukuro."

"I've just been passing by the last couple of days," he turned his face to smirk up at Kat, "I even met little Kitten-chan here the other day in Russia Sushi." Both Mikado and Masaomi looked shocked at this but Kat watched on as Izaya introduced himself to Mikado, standing up with a hand on his chest. "Hmm... I am Izaya Orihara, you are?"

"I'm Mikado Ryuugamine."

"Sounds like the name of an air conditioner." Kat scoffed at his comment.

"So then, what brings you out this way?" Masaomi asked, trying to figure out what Izaya was up to.

"I came to see somebody," he turned his eyes to Mikado. "And now I have."

Kat knew better than to panic in this situation, Izaya was out to observe this game not finish it this early. He had caught on to what she knew already and wanted to see how it played out. Just to make sure she was right, Kat stood up and whispered in Izaya's ear slyly, "you're not going to ruin this for me, are you?"

He turned and faced her with a grin on his face, "I wouldn't dream of it, Kitten."

Mikado, Masaomi and Anri had been watching the exchange in shock before they turned their shock to something else, Izaya had been hit by a trashcan and was now lying on the ground. "Holy shit," Masaomi sweat dropped.

"Well, well, well. Whats up, Izaya?" A blonde man in a bartender outfit wearing blue shades asked with a gritty edge to his voice as he strutted his way over, his hands stuffed in his pockets. "Didn't I tell you never to set foot in Ikebukuro again? You remember that, Izaya, don't ya?"

Izaya got up, roughly pulling one sleeve of his jacket back over his shoulder. You could cut the tension in the air with a knife. "Shizu-chan. Last I heard you had some gig, working over by the West gate."

"Got fired ages ago. And I'm pretty sure that I've told you never to call me that. My name is Shizuo Heiwajima. Try to get it right." Shizuo sneered.

So this was Shizuo Heiwajima, Kat thought. A man feared by many because of his insane strength, Simon had mentioned him when she had asked him about Izaya after he left the restaurant so she knew about their feud.

"Oh, come on, Shizu-chan. So I pinned you for something you didn't do. Who knew you'd get so mad?" Izaya asked nonchalantly.

"Oh, I'm not mad. I just wanna beat the shit out of you." Shizuo sneered.

"You know, the problem with you, Shizu-chan, is that you can't be swayed by reason and that's bad. Really bad. Now let me go." He pointed a knife at Shizuo.

Just then Hiroshi burst in with what appeared to be his 'Dollars brothas' and surrounded the scene. "There! That's the guy! No punk ass bitch gets to make a fool outta me!"

The scene was all becoming a blur after one of the Dollars hit Shizuo over the head with a bat, violence personified was angry and the man who hit would be a believer if he came out this alive. "You aimed for my head. You have to know a blow like that could kill a guy, right? And this means that you were intentionally trying to kill me, right? So then, whatever happens next is what you deserve, right?" He proceeded to punch the man so hard he ended up across the street, his baggy clothes falling off in the process.

The rest of the Dollars ran off and Kat didn't even realise she was running too until she could feel Izaya's hand in hers as they sprinted along the streets of Ikebukuro. Why had he taken her with him? Was it because of what she had said earlier? Izaya and Kat made their way to an apartment she wasn't familiar by sprinting at a fast pace.

She settled onto the sofa in the apartment, out of breath. "Man, I'm tired."

"I'm surprised you could run all the way to Shinjuku without stopping. Have you ever thought about becoming a courier of sorts?" Izaya asked, plopping himself down in his office chair, his eyes trained on Kat's form.

Kat laughed at his comment, "to be quite honest, I haven't had a lot of time to think about much. New city, new information and all that."

Izaya's eyes narrowed as if studying her, "I see."

"So, Izaya Orihara, why did you bring me into your humble abode? I know it isn't because you wanted to offer me a job."

"I was just wondering what exactly you know."

"I thought you were meant to know all, info broker."

"Yes but it seems in this case, Kitten-chan may have the advantage."

"By the way, what's with the nickname?"

"You move like a cat, slinky and swift. Plus you're name sounds like the English word for 'cat' and I like cats."

"I can't tell if you're flirting with me or not, Izaya, aren't I too young for such attention?" Kat's eyes flashed with an emotion, Izaya deciphered it as excitement.

"Now, now, Kitten-chan, why would I tell you what you would like to know when you won't tell me what I want to know in return? I'm sure you'll have fun figuring it out." Izaya stated in a child like manner.

"As will you," she replied. "I must get going now, it was nice chatting with you, Izaya." Kat left with a sing-song tone in her voice, waving all the while.

It was later that night when Kat logged into the chatroom under the name 'Hitomi' and it took her 5 minutes of scrolling up before she figured out who the user 'Kanra' sounded exactly like, Izaya.

She thought back to their conversation earlier, maybe it was time she get herself caught in Ikebukuro's web, after all soft-spoken and shy Mikado was leader of the Dollars so why shouldn't she try something just as exciting.

Hitomi: So Izaya, I thought about your offer earlier, I would gladly become a courier if you have any jobs lined up.