CHAPTER 7 | ACTIVE INTEREST

'You wouldn't want to give me the wrong idea, Izaya, I'm beginning to think you might like me.'

The words rang through his head as the two made their way towards Russia Sushi to collect their take out, a second reward for a job well done. So far Shrina had been his only friend since he could remember and the fact that this girl was wiggling her way into being his friend as well, and so quickly, confused him just a bit.

Izaya gazed as Kat's form as she paced a few metres ahead of him, her blonde locks tangling together as she did so. She was shivering, her outfit was somewhat too revealing for the cold night that had been so suddenly thrust upon Ikebukuro. Kat seemed to glow in the dimly lit streets like a heavenly beacon of light, attracting the attention of all around it with her pale long legs. The thought made Izaya's usual grin begin to settle into a frown as he realised he might not be the only one who was looking at her in that moment.

Izaya's head moved from side to side as he swiftly scanned his surroundings.

Surely enough, Izaya had been right for a few males in a group had been staring at her beside a fountain. It gave him this strange sort of feeling he hadn't experienced before which he carefully labelled as jealousy.

That meant Kat had been right because he was beginning to think he might like her too.

If anyone had been watching Izaya in that moment, they would've found out that the 20 year old man actually had some humanity as he shook his head to clear it out again and ban the idea of getting attached to someone from ever crossing his mind.

Kat looked back and their eyes met. Izaya's were brown and narrowed, his thoughts still stinging at the edges of his mind, Kat's, one green and one blue stayed in their usual state as her mouth gave a small smile.

"I didn't take you for a gentleman," her voice sounded sly after Izaya placed his fur hooded jacket around her shoulders, they seemed to only have a block or two to go before they got to the restaurant.

"Don't judge a book by it's cover, Kitten." Kat let out a hmph and eventually they made it outside of Russia Sushi only for her to lean against the outside wall.

"I wouldn't want Semyon to worry about me so I'll just wait out here. He wouldn't be happy for me to be mixed up with a shady person like you," Kat smirked at him and he only mirrored her expression and walked in asking for their order.

Simon wasn't stupid as Izaya walked in, asking for an order of his favourite fatty tuna and uramaki, a dish he had not once ordered before. Simon had seen the way Kat and Izaya's eyes met, watched it with narrowed eyes and a solemn look on his face. Izaya was not one to be trusted.

While Izaya was waiting for his order Simon decided to approach him, "ah, Izaya, what brings you here so late?"

Izaya cracked his usual smirk at the man, "you could say I'm peckish after a job."

The Russian man handed him a white plastic bag with his order placed inside and kept a somewhat serious but cheerful demeanour. "I hope you would not be mixed up in some shady business. Remember, fighting is always bad."

Izaya just raised his hand lazily as he left the little restaurant, hearing the edge of a warning in Simon's voice.

Kat followed him as he turned to the left towards Shinjuku then stopped herself. "Izaya, this isn't the way to my apartment."

"No, Kitten, it's the way to mine."

"That was never agreed but whatever.."

Maybe he wanted to finish what they had started earlier and Kat didn't see a problem with that so they just kept walking, Izaya being uncharacteristically quiet. That was until they found a sleeping body on the side of the street, a yellow flip phone resting on top of the jacket he was wearing.

"What shall we do with him, Izaya?"

Izaya leaned down and snatched up the phone, flipping it open and scanning its contents, making a mischievous glow reflect in his eyes from the blue light. He skipped about the street, jumping over benches as such until a number lit up on the screen which he quickly answered.

"Sushi love! Especially fatty tuna."

Kat burst out in childish laughter when she heard the words come from his mouth. Of all the things to say, this 'genius' decided to ramble about his favourite food.

"I thought better of you, Izaya." She whispered into his other ear.

"What the hell? Who's this?" A vaguely familiarly voice asked and Izaya's eyes seemed to light up in recognition also. "Oh, it's you, Dotachin! I was just walking and came across this guy sleeping, so when his phone rang, I answered."

Muffled voices.

"Hm? Where am I? I'm out in front of Taishoken in south Ikebukuro."

More muffled voices.

"Why? Because Russia Sushi's got a special today."

The short phone call was cut off when the couple were nearly hit by a car coming hurtling towards the two, and not from the road they were standing on, from above the two of them. Kat lead out a cat like shriek and jumped back just in time to only be hit on the foot by the falling vechile.

"Izaya! Stay out of Ikebukuro!" A blonde man dressed in a bartender outfit looked extremely intimidating as he was heaving in breaths while staring angrily at Izaya.

"Well, it seems Shizu-chan has found me. See ya!" Within seconds, he was standing infront of Kat, who seemed to get the message and jumped on his back so he could carry her as they ran from the 'monster.'

Although her foot hurt, she couldn't help but laugh with the older man as he ran them across the rooftops of Ikebukuro, all the while shouts of 'Izaya!' came from behind them until they got far enough away from them.