Game

"Let's play a game, shall we?" Pan announces. "How about a fun game of capture the flag"

"Yeah!" The boys cheered.

"There will be two teams. Mine, and Seraphina's"

Pan picked the dozen boys he wanted on his team and the others came over to mine. I lead the way away from camp, looking for the right place to post the green flag I was given.

"How do you boys normally play this?" I ask.

"It's capture the flag. We plant the flag and try to keep the other team from stealing it while we try to steal theirs" someone answered.

"But we can set traps, to keep the others from getting to our flag"

"There's the twist I was expecting" I mumble. "Hey, could we bury the flag? Technically we're still placing it, it's just a little underground"

"That's a smart idea"

"Where'd you come up with that?"

I shrug. "Just a thought. Because we could put it high, in the trees, but why not low, in the ground?"

We stopped after a while of walking and I found a nice place to hide the flag on the ground at the base of a tree. I heard a loud whistle from the other end of the forest, most likely the other team telling us they were ready. A boy on my team then whistled loudly.

"The game started" someone explains to me.

"Alright. Three boys on guard, everyone else split up and try to find a way to the flag" I say.

We all split up, except for the boys staying behind. I step on a pile of leaves after about 5 minutes of running and am instantly dragged upside down, hanging by my feet from a tree. I curse in my head and try to untie the vine but it wouldn't give, the knot was tied too tight. My hair was nearly brushing the ground.

"Well, looks like I caught the captain" the tall boy says, leaning against a tree.

"What's your name? You seem pretty important, like the right-hand man of Pan"

"Felix"

"Well, Felix, it seems Pan didn't explain to you boys just who I am exactly. I'm not some girl who randomly showed up from the non-magic world. I'm from the Enchantes Forest, with a witch as a mother, which means-"

I snapped and the vine around my foot became undone. My hands were above my head so I caught myself when I was dropped.

"-I have magic"

I could see past his hood that he was glaring at me. He had blue eyes and blonde hair, a scar in the shape of an X underneath his right eye. He pulled out a knife and tried attacking me, but I dodged every swing he took. Finally, I grabbed his hand with the knife and twisted his arm behind his back, making him drop the knife.

"Tell me where your flag is"

"No"

He got his arm out of the hold and pulled out another knife, shoving me up against a tree with the knife against my neck.

"You think you won?" I ask, a smile on my face.

"You're the one pinned to a tree with a knife against her neck"

"True, but I'm the one with the magic"

I closed my eyes and imagined a strong wind pushing him away from me. When I opened my eyes he was on the ground, a couple feet away from me, the knife wedged in the stump of a fallen tree.

There were some shouts in the distance and they led me to where Pan's flag had been planted. Some boys from my team had been caught in a net, the boys from Pan's team talking to them, leaving the flag wide open for the taking.

I grabbed the flag from the tree it hung in and slowly snuck away until I was a good distance away when I started running. The path wasn't clear but I took the way I thought was leading me back to where my flag was planted.

The Lost Boys from Pan's team must've noticed the missing flag because they were shouting after me, their loud running footsteps hurdling towards me. I smiled and kept running, until I ran into something hard.

"Nice try Love" Pan said.

I looked up at him. He was standing with his arms crossed and a smirk on his face, he looked victorious, like he knew he won.

"My name isn't Love" I snap, hiding the flag behind my back when I stood up.

"Give me back the flag"

"That's not how this game goes, you know that"

He took a step closer but didn't grab onto my arm and force me to hand over the flag like I thought he was going to do.

"Seraphina, hand it over" he said in a low voice.

"I would but I don't have it" I say, showing him both of my empty hands.

While he was talking to me I made it appear in the hands of one of the boys guarding our flag. His eyes widened as he heard my team running up, cheering, holding Pan's flag up high.

"I won" I say with a smirk. "You need to be more alert if you're playing games with me"