6

I write this in Hateno Village. My clothes, along with a majority of the Castle, had been disintegrated.

I was so distraught over losing my belongings, everything I had once owned, that the only thing Link could think of doing was bringing me back to Kakariko Village. I cried on Impa's lap. A century worth of tears unleashed in a few hours. Link had not been there to see.

When I had finished, Impa reminded me that Hyrule was in desperate need of a ruler. That if their Princess would come back, they would most likely accept her as their Queen. I told her I would think on it.

After that, Link wished to rest, and told me of a house he had in Hateno Village. We left Kakariko, and moved on.

His house was small, but I liked having such a quaint area, rather than an enormous castle. He cooked us a meal, and we ate in silence.

Then something incredulously strange happened. Link spoke, and I listened. He talked and talked and talked, and I couldn't help but relish in his voice. He told me stories of the quest he had been on, of the people he met and the things he saw.

He said how he didn't remember much from our time together, only that he was a knight with a duty, and that duty was to keep me safe. I assured him, yet again, that I was capable of handling myself. That I had been for the past 100 years. He brushed it aside.

Then he asked me what I remembered. My mind was blank. Black actually. It had been black for so long. Most of my memories were either darkness, or light, neither one together. There was Calamity, and there was wisdom, and that was all. I had to dive deep to remember my past life.

I spoke of my father, my old friends, and the staff of the castle, and how I missed them so dearly. He listened to every word, and didn't say anything when I had started to cry.

Then Link asked me why, after so long of trying, did I think the power worked when we needed it most.

Because the Goddess works in mysterious ways, I answered.

Such a lie.

I cannot tell him the truth. I am afraid of it as much as I am afraid of the Calamity coming back.

The Great Deku Tree had been right. It would've been nice to tell Link myself. But some things should remain a secret. For now.

-Princess Zelda