01

Bucky traced a finger over the small black spiral that rested on the skin over his heart like a tattoo. The night before last he'd left for a party with a pale mark that looked like a scar, and he'd woken up the next morning with a black mark and a killer hangover.

He'd met his soulmate and couldn't even remember it.

For the past day and night, Bucky had been thinking back to that party. He remembered finding Tony, the guy who invited him to the party, before a cup of punch had been thrust into his hand. The punch was some toxic concoction of tequila, vodka, wine, and a blend of different fruit juices. It had actually tasted alright, but he'd felt himself already getting buzzed by the second cup.

He remembered chatting with Tony's girlfriend and soulmate Pepper for a little while, but the events of night really started blurring together when, on his fifth cup of the punch, he made his way outside and met the host of the party, Sam. Bucky knew absolutely nobody there, not even Tony, really. He was just a regular at the cafe where Bucky worked. Sam seemed to like him enough, at least, and together they did several tequila shots.

The shots were a bad idea. A horrible one. His memory had been hazy enough already, but after the shots all he remembers is that he was halfway through being introduced to Sam's soulmate Riley when everything went dark.

It wasn't the first time Bucky had been blackout drunk, and it certainly wouldn't be the last, but he just wished he'd been a little bit more sober when he'd met his fucking soulmate of all people.

And it wasn't just a fresh soulmark he'd woken up with, either. An hour after he'd woken up, a reminder popped up on his phone to let him know that he had a date with some guy named Steve on Sunday. The next day. Despite the common name, Bucky didn't actually know anybody named Steve, but sure enough there was a new contact under that name in his phone.

He'd texted him to confirm that they had in fact made plans. Steve replied a few hours later, saying that he was sorry that he couldn't remember making the plans, but he had a reminder on his phone that let him know about them. They both knew it was odd that they'd set up a date with each other so soon after the party, but seeing as they didn't already have plans, they decided they might as well go through with it.

Bucky pulled his hand away from the mark on his chest to slip a shirt and sweater on - both black, of course. He might not know Steve, or even remember meeting him, but he was going to look good anyway. And Bucky knew for a fact that he looked amazing in black.

He was almost ready to go when he received a text.

Steve (9:46am): I know it's weird going on a date with someone you don't remember meeting, so if you wanna back out, I'm not gonna hold it against you.

Bucky scoffed, rolling his eyes. Steve had texted him the night before with the same worries, but refused to be the one who cancelled.

Bucky (9:47am): See you at 10. I'll be the brunette dressed in black.

He threw on a black coat, wound a scarf around his neck, pocketed his phone and wallet, then headed out. In both of their reminders, the original plan for the date was for it to be held at some fancy cafe in Manhattan, but their sober selves had decided somewhere local in Brooklyn would be better, seeing as they both lived there. Bucky, understandably, didn't want to go where he worked. So he suggested his favorite coffee shop, close to home, and was thankful when Steve agreed to go there. Bucky wasn't lazy, but it would only be a ten minute walk in the frigid winter air before he arrived.

There was a small part of himself that felt bad about what he was doing - going on a date with a stranger after he'd recently met his yet-to-be-identified soulmate. But Bucky wasn't dumb. He knew he'd met Steve at that party sometime after he'd blacked out, which meant there was a possibility that Steve was his soulmate. It did seem too good to be true though, if he was being completely honest with himself, so Bucky decided not to get his hopes up.