04

Bucky's gut instinct was telling him to keep seeing Steve.

If that meant his soulmate had rejected him, so be it. When Bucky was with Steve, all his worries faded away and he felt relaxed and happy. He wanted more of that, which is why he immediately called Steve and invited him over for a movie night.

Steve came over the next night with pizza and beer, much like Clint and Natasha had. Bucky put Netflix on and settled in the couch comfortably, though he noticed Steve failed to do the same. He sat a little stiffly on the couch, seeming a little nervous. Bucky wondered if maybe inviting him over made Steve think he just wanted to have sex, and though that wouldn't be a complete lie, that wasn't Bucky's intention. He simply wanted to spend time with Steve.

To keep him at ease, Bucky kept his hands to himself and stayed on his side of the couch, hoping Steve would relax once he saw that Bucky wouldn't try to put any moves on him. But if anything, it had the opposite effect. Steve was still tense and now fidgeting, barely paying any attention to the movie, instead staring off to the side as if lost in thought. Bucky himself was starting to feel uncomfortable as well.

Was he wrong after all? Was this sudden change in their dynamic a sign that Bucky's soulmate was not only still out there, but close to finding him? Did it even work that way? Bucky wasn't so sure, and knew he should just confront Steve about what was going on.

He paused the movie and turned to face Steve. "Is everything okay? You seem a little nervous... Did I do something?"

Steve didn't act like he was surprised by the question, though the fidgeting didn't stop. "No, it's not you, sorry. I've, uh, I've been keeping something from you. I thought it'd be okay, but then I started to feel horrible about it and didn't know what to do." He looked up at Bucky nervously, as if he was worried that he would be mad.

But how could Bucky be mad at Steve, when he too was keeping something from him?

"I'm not angry," Bucky reassured him. "What is it?"

Steve took a deep breath, preparing himself. "The night we met, when we were at the party, I met my soulmate. I don't remember meeting them, though. And then I had that date planned with you, and I was so nervous because I thought you were my soulmate. But then I let it slip that I couldn't wait to meet mine, and when you agreed, I figured you weren't it. But I wanted to continue seeing you anyway."

"And now you feel guilty because your soulmate is somewhere out there, probably looking for you, while you've been going on dates with me." Bucky couldn't believe what was happening. He couldn't believe that Steve had been going through the exact same inner turmoil as him.

"Yeah, I do feel guilty..." Steve scrutinized Bucky with his gaze. "How do you know?"

Bucky shrugged, feigning nonchalance. "Because I met my soulmate at that party as well."

"No way." Steve's whole face changed, the worry and guilt falling into slack-jawed awe. "You don't think?"

"I do." Bucky nodded eagerly, scooting closer to Steve.

Steve leaned in close to Bucky, unable to keep his distance anymore. "We have to be sure. I'll call Sam, see if he knows."

"You really think there's a chance that we both met our soulmates at the same party, and ended up with each other instead?" Bucky raised an eyebrow, challenging him.

Steve shook his head, pulling his phone from his pocket and dialing Sam almost immediately. "I can't take the chance, Bucky. I need to know it's you."

Sam answered on the third ring, and Bucky listened as patiently as he could while Steve tried to confirm their theory.

"Was I with anyone at your party? Yes? Man or woman? Did he look like an artfully scruffy version of that hot doctor from The Martian, only younger, prettier, and with longer hair? No, I am not a lovesick fool, Samuel! Was it him or not? Yes? You better not be fucking with me right now." Steve looked up suddenly. "He hung up on me."

"Good." Bucky grinned, and in the next moment he was on Steve, claiming his mouth in a searing kiss that made him feel more alive than ever.

Bucky finally had his soulmate, and being the idiot he was, didn't even realise he'd been with him the whole time.