02

Did Bucky feel bad for liking Steve so much when he had just met his soulmate? Yes, of course he did, he wasn't completely heartless. But did that mean he wasn't excited for his and Steve's second date? No way in hell.

This time they planned to go out to a bar on Friday night, exactly a week after their first drunken meeting. Bucky's soulmate hadn't found him or contacted him in any way, and for that he was a little glad. He was really looking forward to seeing Steve again, and if Steve's texts were anything to go by, he was just as excited as well.

Despite his excitement, though, doubts started to crowd his thoughts. Maybe Bucky's soulmate was waiting for him to be the one that went looking. He'd made no effort so far, the knowledge of which made him feel immensely guilty. But how was he even supposed to go about finding them? Bucky didn't remember most of that party, and he supposed he could ask Tony if he knew anything, but the man hadn't been in for a coffee all week. That wasn't completely unusual, as Tony sometimes travelled for work, but Bucky didn't know who else to ask. Sam might know, but the only way to get in contact with him was through Steve, and he really didn't want to potentially ruin what they had.

Or were going to have. He didn't really know yet, but until he somehow found his soulmate, the possibilities were endless.

Bucky made it to the bar a little late, underestimating the time it would take to get there on foot. He looked around and spotted Steve saving a small booth for them near the back, like he had in the cafe, and immediately felt all his negative feelings from earlier erase the second Steve's face lit up with a wide smile.

"Sorry I'm late," Bucky apologised once he was seated in the booth beside Steve, and shrugged off his coat. "Can I buy you a drink to make up for it?"

Steve ducked his head a little and blushed. "Sure. Just a beer."

Bucky headed to the bar to order their drinks feeling more than pleased with himself at how he'd already managed to get Steve to blush so early in their date. He enjoyed seeing the red rise in his cheeks, contrasted with those baby blue eyes and soft blonde hair. Bucky thought about how great it'd feel to run his hands through that hair for a moment, but snapped himself out of it. He barely knew the guy and hadn't even had anything to drink, so why was he already getting lost in those kinds of thoughts?

They stayed at the bar for a few hours, sharing stories and learning more about each other. Both made sure not to drink more than enough to get a nice buzz, not wanting to have a repeat of the first time they met. Bucky already liked Steve, but by the end of the date he was really starting to fall for him, and hard.

"Can I walk you home?" Steve asked, a hopeful little smile on his face. "Your apartment's not too far out of the way from mine."

"Sure," Bucky agreed, wondering how it was possible for the night to be going so well.

He boldly reached for Steve's hand as they headed back to his, grinning madly as Steve accepted his hand with a blush. They chatted quietly amongst each other, leaning in close together to fight off the chill, puffs of breath visible with every word and laugh. Steve didn't just stop at Bucky's building, but walked him up to his mid-level apartment as well. They paused outside the door, Bucky steeling himself for a moment. He wanted more, and now was the time to ask.

But it was Steve who spoke first. "I had a great time tonight, Buck. I really like you. A lot."

Bucky wanted to melt into a puddle. "You do?"

"Uh-huh." And then Steve leaned in and pressed his lips to Bucky's, kissing him soft and sweet. When he pulled back there was no trace of a flush on his cheek, but instead he wore a dopey, lopsided smile. "Been wanting to do that all night."

"How about we do that some more?" Bucky suggested, unlocking his door and gesturing to the darkened apartment beyond.

"I don't think I should." Steve looked sad, like he regretted saying that, but he squared his shoulders stubbornly. It was almost like he was fighting himself. "Sorry, Bucky. I really do like you, and because of that, I wanna take things slow."

"Yeah, that's okay, just know that the offer's always open." Bucky shrugged and grinned cheekily, covering up the small disappointment he felt. He didn't want to push Steve into moving faster than he wanted. He would respect his boundaries.

Steve grinned back, leaning in slowly. "I'll remember that." He kissed Bucky again briefly, lips lingering a little before he pulled away. "Night, Buck."

"Night, Steve."