The Night They Met

Bucky licked the salt off his hand, downed the shot, then stuck the wedge of lime into his mouth. How many had that been? Four? Five? He couldn't exactly remember, but Sam had offered to do some tequila shots with him and he couldn't say no. If he was any less drunk, he might've regretted it, but rational reasoning was beyond him by that point.

"Riley!" Sam called out drunkenly, breaking out into the goofiest loved-up smile Bucky had ever seen. A fair-haired guy came over and Sam immediately pulled him in for a sloppy kiss. His smile was still there when they broke away. "Bucky, this is Riley, my soulmate."

"Nice to meet you," Riley greeted him, slurring a little.

"Yeah, you too." Bucky smiled politely but was starting to feel awkward by the way Sam was nipping and sucking at Riley's neck. Sam seemed to notice his discomfort and doubled his efforts, making wet sucking noises. "I'm just gonna... go inside."

Bucky quickly left the two lovebirds be, heading inside to find the bathroom. A woman with a low cut dress tried to corner him almost instantly, but he managed to escape her advances. He avoided the people that wore low cut necklines or kept the top of their shirt unbuttoned. They did so in an effort to show off their incomplete soulmark, letting everyone else know that they were single and looking.

Bucky thought he could feel their desperation rolling off them in waves.

Sam's apartment was reasonably large, so when he found the bathroom to be occupied, he figured he should check the bedrooms for any en suites. He thanked his lucky stars when he found one, and that it was empty too, and went about his business. When he was done, Bucky stumbled out of the bathroom to find a large blonde sprawled on the bed, humming to himself.

"You alright, man?" Bucky questioned, making his way to the side of the bed. Up close he could see how handsome the blonde was. All wide shoulders and strong jaw.

The blonde looked up at him and grinned. "Yeah, all good. Just avoiding a ravenous woman... and man... and lots of people..." He trailed off with a wave of his arm, getting a good look at Bucky. "I'm Steve."

Maybe it was the alcohol, but Bucky felt dizzy when he looked at Steve. He was just so goddamn beautiful. It took him a moment to gather his thoughts and reply. "I'm Bucky."

And at that moment, a strange tingle ran through Bucky's chest, and he felt a cold burning sensation over his heart. Steve must've been feeling something similar, because he looked down at his chest with a frown. Bucky was too drunk to know what it was immediately, but when he pulled the neck of his henley aside, he saw that his soulmark was now black.

He looked up to see Steve doing the same thing, and he too had a fresh black mark over his heart. Bucky couldn't believe what was happening. He'd met his soulmate. He'd met his soulmate. And his soulmate was so damn perfect.

"Holy shit, Bucky," Steve breathed his name and half sat up, holding out a hand for Bucky.

Bucky took it, letting himself be pulled on top of Steve, straddling his narrow hips, arms braced on either side of his head. Steve held his face carefully, like he might break it, like he was the most precious thing in the world.

"Fuck, you're my soulmate." Bucky wanted to laugh and cry and never let him go. "We're soulmates."

"Yeah..." Steve seemed at a loss for words, unable to look away from anything but Bucky's eyes.

Bucky made the first move, ducking his head down and claiming Steve's lips, which parted for him eagerly. They were both drunk, and the kiss was hot and wet and they moaned as their lips slid together messily. Bucky broke the kiss to lick and nip at Steve's jaw and neck, working his way down. When he pulled the neck of Steve's shirt to the side and started sucking at the soulmark, Steve gasped and jerk his hips up into Bucky's, but slowly pushed him away.

Steve shook his head when Bucky dived down to claim his lips again. "As much as I'd like to sleep with you, Bucky, I kinda wanna be sober for our first time."

Bucky frowned, but nodded to show he understood. "Better not get carried away then." He slid off Steve's body and fell to the side, but immediately snuggled into him anyway.

"I wanna do this properly," Steve said after a moment of sweet silence. "We should go on a date."

"I'd like that," Bucky agreed, nuzzling into Steve's neck.

"When should we go?" Steve started running his hand through Bucky's hair.

Bucky tried to remember when his next day off was, and when he did, he sat up and bit his lip to hold back a grin. "I'm free this Sunday."

"Really?" Steve sat up now too, grabbing at Bucky's hand earnestly. "I am too. It's perfect. First date with my soulmate and it's only a day away."

"It's gonna be so fucking romantic." Bucky couldn't remember the last time he felt this happy. It bloomed in his chest and spread to every inch of his body. He leaned into Steve's body, letting himself be wrapped in his soulmate's embrace.

"We should go to that new Hydra cafe in Manhattan," Steve suggested. "The one that Alexander Pierce just opened."

"God yes. At ten?

"Sure."

"Wait, what if we're too drunk to remember our plans?"

Steve cursed. "Damn, I hadn't thought of that. Should we put a reminder in our phones or something?"

"Good idea. And set it for midday tomorrow, so we'll definitely get it."

Bucky pulled his phone out of his pocket at the same time Steve did, and thumbed in the reminder: sober bucky u have a date w steve on sunday day 10am hydra

"All done." Bucky looked up at Steve and grinned. "I can't believe I just met my soulmate."

"I know, it's like a dream."

"We should swap numbers, before we forget."

Steve grimaced. "Shit, I didn't even think of that."

They exchanged phone numbers, and resumed cuddling, talking about how excited they were for their date. Everything was going smoothly, until Bucky started to feel more than a little queasy.

"Ah, fuck," he groaned, rolling off the bed. "I think I'm gonna puke."

He made it back into the bathroom in time, the tequila and punch making a reappearance, but at least he had Steve there to rub his back.

"Of course my soulmate throws up on me only ten minutes after we met," Steve said with a laugh once Bucky had rinsed his mouth out.

Bucky scowled and dragged Steve back into the bedroom, pulling him down onto the bed. "I got to the toilet in time and you know it. Now shut up and cuddle me."

"Happily."

And they did cuddle, and kiss, for a short time longer, until Sam found them there and kicked them out, making them go their separate ways. For a little while, at least.