01 | hypothesis

|

0 1

h y p o t h e s i s

|

It all started by elements.

I received a letter in the morning when I was analyzing a sand sample from the Sahara Desert:

Y/N, I need to know more about the lately-discovered element O. I prefer to listen to your explanation in person and I need your professional opinion on my recent research too. Are you free to have dinner together tonight? I'll go to your office to get you if you're okay. Draco.

And I replied, "Okay, see you tonight."

Draco came to my office and took me to the restaurant he'd booked. Damn, it's too fancy for what I was wearing at the moment - a check shirt, a pair of jeans and trainers. It'd be better for me to go home and put on some long dress. My worries must have shown on my face as he said I looked fine. At last, he cancelled the booking and suggested to go somewhere else to eat because of my insistence on going home to change. As he had nothing in mind, he let me choose where to eat.

I took him to a Muggle fast food restaurant. Seeing people queuing in lines in front of the cashier counters, he wrinkled his nose with disgust. Seemingly, he hadn't been to any "commoners' restaurant" before.

"So, no one's gonna take us to our seats? And do we need to wait in lines to order and serve ourselves?" he observed and asked uncomfortably. I couldn't tell whether his discomfort was caused by the disclosure of his ignorance or being surrounded by Muggles.

"I'm sorry, but yes. We can go elsewhere if you don't wanna eat here. You look uncomfortable."

"I let you choose in the first place, so it's fine. Although I'm not quite familiar with the Muggle money currency, I can still tell it's very cheap. I hope the food isn't poisonous," he frowned at the menu on the wall.

"So, what would you like to eat?"

"Anything. I can't make myself choose any of these. They all seem horrible. It's like people asking you if you wanna eat dog poop or cat poop. They don't really give you any choice," he said sourly with sarcasm.

"Okay, I'll order for both of us. And Draco, would you mind finding us a table?"

He answered with an "okay" gesture and headed to the dining area. I sighed, feeling slightly regretted about bringing the spoiled rich man to McDonald's. I only ordered two burgers, a pack of French fries for us although I was pretty sure that it's not going to be enough for two people. I guessed the more I ordered, the more we're going to waste anyway. If I felt hungry later, I could just go and grab some night snacks.

I found Draco quickly with complete ease. He was the odd man out - his platinum hair and his expensive black suit stood out in the fast food restaurant. His eyes were closed and he's sitting with his arms crossed in front of his chest as his long legs crossed at the ankles, showing no interest to the Muggle restaurant even though it's his first time in here. While heading to the corner of the area in which Draco had found us a table with food in my hands, I found people kept staring at him, and more importantly most of them were young ladies.

I carefully placed the food tray on the table in front of Draco. The sound of the tray collided with the table caused him to open his eyes. He observed the food with a frown, completely unaware of the looks the ladies were giving him. He picked up a burger and unwrapped it with elegant moves like a real gentleman. Once the disappointing occupant inside the wrapper was revealed, a grimace spread over his face.