21 | origin

|

o r i g i n

|

It's been more than a week. Jabez's condition was so much better and Gregorovitch said that he no longer looked like a "skeleton". I asked Jabez about his future plan which he replied that he's going to dismiss his terrorist followers.

"Since Akbar doesn't see me as his brother, so I don't see the point of me still being in this ruthless organization. Although I suppose the terrorist group is going to reform in the future, today I'm going to release all the captives and dismiss the Taliban. It's unavoidable anyway. Inhumanity always exists when humans aren't extinct," sighed Jabez, a hint of sadness flashed vaguely when he mentioned the only family he'd once thought he had.

"What next? Are you gonna leave?"

"I don't know. I mean, I belong to nowhere," he shrugged nonchalantly, as if he didn't care. "And I have no one."

"Oh, that's hurtful, you ungrateful kid," Gregorovitch expressed his disapproval by frowning as he stopped stuffing boxes into his trunk before a warm smile spread across his wrinkled face behind the white bushy beard. "You know you still have us, Jabez. Why don't you come with us, back to the start of everything?"

Jabez gaped at the suggestion and slowly shook his head.

"Jabez," the old man sighed. "I've been living with you for more than three years since we were transported from England to Afghanistan. I was captured because of my wandlore knowledge. I was disarmed and handcuffed when I heard that they'd found an unexpected prize - a magically-gifted orphan.

When I first saw you as they nudged you into the carriage, I was shocked at the poor state you're in. You're skinny and wearing shabby oversized clothing. You looked despaired and broken. You stayed quiet for the whole journey and only stared at your dirty, blood-stained hands, seemingly didn't care about where you're heading to. At that time, I wondered what this kid had gone through.

Through the past few years, I've witnessed how you've turned from a filthy teenage boy into a powerful wizard and how much you've gone through. I know that you aren't cold-blooded as how you want people to see you. I know that you always have a warm heart inside. And I'm glad and proud that you're not twisted by the wrong values Akbar had taught you. Maybe because of the fact that I'd known you since the first day and we both don't have any family, I always have a soft spot for you, like I have a responsibility of making sure this kid is doing fine. We've got familiar with each other later on and I care about you more and more. Jabez, you're just like a family to me."

The wandmaker placed his hand on Jabez's shoulder and gave it a squeeze. Jabez's chocolate eyes widened in shock as he heard the word "family". I could see his eyes twinkled for a moment before he blinked the happiness away. Gregorovitch smiled at the young man and pulled him into a hug. I chuckled as Jabez responded awkwardly as he didn't know where to place his arms. Jabez probably had never been hugged by a family before. I decided not to disturb them or ruin the touching moment, I tiptoed and sneaked out to the balcony.

"You finished packing?" asked Jabez, who joined me at the balcony. The breeze gently blew his long black hair out of place.

"Yea, I didn't bring much stuff here in the first place anyway. And you've done with your gangs, I guess?"

He nodded, keeping his eyes at the clear night sky, with a charming smile on his face. He'd been looking so happy since the brief family moment with Gregorovitch the day before.