17 | mood swings

|

1 7

m o o d s w i n g s

|

Draco's in the hospital. He won't be able to help. But I can't stand doing nothing and wait for him to get better. We don't have any time to waste. I can't keep dwelling in depression. Gregorovitch is waiting for me in the terrorists' den.

I have to do it myself.

The next day, his assistant was painting her nails when I apparated to Draco's office. I ignored the girl behind the reception desk and directly headed to Draco's room. The assistant looked up as she heard my footsteps, but didn't bother much until she saw me unlocking her boss's room door with my wand.

She clumsily stood up and knocked off the red nail polish in the process. Running to my side as fast as she could, she screamed a deafening "no", trying to stop my action. The scream was soon replaced by a hopeless mumble as I pushed the door open.

"I'd better start looking for a new job..."

"Yea, now go and have a look at today's Prophet. They have so many job ads on the last few pages. Don't mind me," I urged and gestured her to go back to her seat.

"Yes..." the young assistant nodded frantically and left me alone.

I stepped into the very Slytherin office. Looking around in search of something in particular, I strode to the large wooden table at the centre of the room.

The documents shouldn't be very difficult to find because Draco should be reading and amending them a lot. They shouldn't be in the bookcase.

There were several files and pieces of parchment spread on the surface without any order. I picked up the files and checked the titles carefully. They're all handwritten beautifully by Draco himself.

Medical Uses of Different Elements
Soul-Eliciting Potion
Elements and Desires
Characteristics of Different Metals
Elements and Emotions

I kept three of the files and left the office. The assistant was indeed reading the Prophet, making notes and circling a few job opportunities. I apparated to my own office without disturbing her.

Reading the documents were not fun. With my insufficient knowledge about Alchemy, the theories were abstruse. I began to doubt whether I could do this on my own.

When I was frustratedly reading the principles of the Soul-Eliciting Potion, an owl dropped a scroll of parchment on my desk. Seizing the very reasonable excuse to escape from the difficult Alchemy theories for a while, I hastily untied the parchment. It's at least 20 inches long. If I didn't see my name on it, I'd think this was an essay for the professor instead of a letter. I couldn't tell whether reading the letter or the Alchemy documents was better. I briefly scanned the letter:

Y/N, as soon as I received your letter, I went to the library to make sure that everything is precise and real. It's taken me some time because I had to read 3 books to gather all the information below. There's not much information recorded in the books.

... "Master-Servant Bond" is a magic bond that can be used to link two people together. It was invented by an Arab wizard called Majida Antar in the 9th Century...

I skipped all the background information without hesitation. Sorry, Hermione.

... The bond can only be created when they have Allah as the witness. The inferior has to take an oath of allegiance to swear loyalty to their superior, to link the two together by receiving power from Allah. As the bond is created by the great power of Allah, no wizards can break the bond. The magic link is permanent and irreversible. It only disappears when either one of the participants in the bond dies...