The Portal

Two days later and we had finally finished taking all the work my mom had written on the walls and turning it into reality. We hadn't tried it out yet though so we weren't certain it worked but everything was done to plan, as written by my mom.

"We should take a break before we continue" Stan suggested. "My back is starting to hurt from sitting and typing"

"Beach time!" Mabel shouts.

"I'm not really the beach type of person. There's a reason I'm so pale" I say.

"What about pool?"

"Same thing"

"How about we go to Greasy's diner and get some food?" Stan asks. "I'm starving"

"That I can agree with"

We went to the diner, all fitting in one booth with Stan and Ford on one side and the rest of us on the other. I was shoved in between the two younger twins.

"Emerald, you're a lot like your sister" Ford said while we were all looking at the menus.

"How?"

"You're smart, and you know what you're doing. She was the one that fixed all the mistakes when it came to the portal, all except for one"

"The problem that got you sucked in in the first place" I say for him.

"Yeah"

"I'm gonna have some pancakes" Mabel says, trying to lighten the mood.

The waiter came around and we all ordered, talking while we waited for our food, just about random things like the creatures in the forest and things we've come in contact with. Mainly me since the others didn't know too much about me.

"Em, could I talk to you outside for a second?" Dipper asks, standing up from the booth. He didn't sound nervous like he normally did.

My eyebrows scrunch together but I agree anyway. "Sure"

Mabel had a giant smile on her face, watching as Dipper led the way outside. We walked for a little bit in silence away from the diner, heading towards a trail in the forest with nobody else around.

"Dipper what is it? Are you okay?"

He hadn't spoken much since we first got to the diner, but when he did speak, to ask to talk with me outside, his voice didn't sound like his own, not completely. But it could've easily been some newfound confidence, a lot of newfound confidence found by the shy boy.

"Why did you want to talk with me?"

He grabbed my hand, spinning me around a couple of times, before he dipped me with his other hand on my lower back. One of my legs was bent up while the other was on the ground. My cheeks started to turn pink when I noticed how close my face was to his.

"What's gotten into you?" I ask.

Instead of answering he smiled. He pulled me up, the hand that was on my back pushing my body against his.

"My heart got in the way of my mind" he whispered, slowly bringing his lips closer to mine.

I push myself away from him, backing away. "You're not Dipper"

"What do you mean?" His voice sounded distorted.

"Who are you!"

"Oh, the smart Gem is back again. I was wondering how long it'd take you"

"How long have you been in his body?" I ask, probably sounding horrified.

He smirks, crossing his arms. "Hmm, a couple days maybe"

My mouth drops open. I couldn't believe I didn't realize it sooner, that the boy in front of me wasn't himself, he was a different person altogether. But it's not like there had been any signs to show me he wasn't himself.

"Hey Dipper, there's the Little Dipper, and the Big Dipper" I say with a laugh, pointing at the constellations in the sky.

When he didn't say anything in response I looked to him, wanting to check if he was still awake, and he was staring at me. I lowered my hand and kept my eyes locked with his.

"What is it?" I ask, swallowing in nervousness afterwards.

He smiled, one of his hands brushed some hair out of my face. I started to become less aware of my breathing and more aware of my heart beating fast. I put a hand on the back of his neck and pulled his face to mine, no longer able to bear the suspension. He kissed back, one of his hands brushing through my hair.

"T-that wasn't Dipper?" I ask in a shaky voice.

"Please, Pine Tree would never have had the guts to even get near you" he said with an eye roll.

We hadn't talked about that kiss after it happened because it wasn't relevant to anything at the time, but now all I wanted to do was punch the cute face that Bill was possessing.

"Punching me won't do you any good" he said.

"I'm sure it will make me feel better"

I readied my hand but he stopped me. "Wait! It's still Pine Tree's body so you'd be punching him"

"Then put him back in his body so I can punch him for letting you take control of his body"

"You don't want to know why I did this in the first place?" He asks.

"I already know all about your plan. You did it to get information about what we're making because you don't have the brains to figure out everything my mom wrote. Now get out of him!"

"You're half right, but I'm not gonna correct you. Trust me, you'll be seeing more of me in the future. Bye Gem" he said with a wink.

Dipper's body fell to the ground and a second later his eyes flew open. He was moving his fingers, probably trying to get a feel for being inside a body again.

"Sorry" I say.

When he looked at me his cheeks turned red. I don't know what he was thinking of or why, my main concern was if he was back to normal.

"What for?" He asks.

"Not realizing sooner"