Chapter 3

"What's his ass done?" Slider hissed through the phone.

Amelia for the first time in weeks felt like she could let down her walls.

She had been locked away from all she knew for a month now and in that time her walls had been up high and strong as she matched wits with the Queen and fought off gossip and slander from the castle staff.

However, hearing Slider's concern was the last blow.

When she felt the first tear fall, she released the floodgates on her emotions.

One tear was followed by many.

"Slider I can't stay here..." she hiccupped while wiping the back of her hand across her face to clear up her runny nose "he is someone completely different here."

The silence hung thickly between them.

"Slider...you there?" Amelia asked unsurely.

He had been quiet for too long; was he thinking of telling Quillon about her request for help?

"Slider?"

"I am here darling I just had to get out of bed and throw on pants."

She felt embarrassed she had interrupted Slider's personal time with one of his many one-night stands.

"I am so sorry Sam if I messed up something for you by calling." she apologized.

"You didn't," he reassured her.

She could hear the sound of him rustling around as he got dressed.

Amelia felt sad but also vindicated because she knew Slider was in love with someone unattainable himself.

"It's going to take me a while...I mean it's not like I can ride my hog there."

Laughing at the image of Slider riding his massive motorcycle up to the palace gates.

"I know." she smiled and felt relief at the knowledge that Sam was not demanding explanations he was simply offering to be there for her.

She relaxed finally.

She would be gone from here soon.

Quillon had pushed her too far again, and she was going to flee once more for her own sanity.

"See you soon sweetie be ready when we get there."

"I will."

Ending the call, she cleared the tears from her cheeks.

"I did not know Quillon had taken a mistress...you really are awfully young."

The voice was soft, the tone honey, the implications massive.

Turning Amelia found herself face to face with PRINCE Quillon's fiancée.

"He didn't... we are not together like that," Amelia replied curtly.

"Oh well, he seemed so taken by you non-the-less."

Amelia took a good hard look at this pampered Princess, and for a second, she allowed herself to envy this girl's gilded life.

A second only.

"Quillon seems different with you."

Amelia smirked.

"Why do you smile at me like that? I have known Quillon for many years... I do not jest."

Amelia walked to the couch in the room and sat down without regard to royal protocol.