Chapter One (The Tournament)

I opened my eyes. A brand new world was before me. Out of instinct, I pulled up the menu to see that the logout button was there. I sighed in relief, closing the menu.

"This isn't that game... I'm playing this for her sake. We haven't seen each other in so long. I wonder where she is?" I questioned myself, looking around for my friend. I took in my surroundings. A giant city was before me. It was much different from the floating castle.

"Sorry to keep you waiting! It took way longer to register for the tournament than I expected." A familiar voice called out. I turned to see my friend. She looks nothing like the friend I knew long ago, but I never forget voices. I smiled at her.

"Hey, long time no see!" She nodded.

"Yeah! I wasn't expecting you to use your normal looks... Hardly anyone does that." I chuckled, a hidden meaning in my words.

"I'm just used to this." She raised a brow, then shook her head, ignoring my words.

"Oh, I'm Kureha here. That's my name, so don't even think about using my real name!" I nodded.

"As you can see, I just went with my real name as well." I told her and rubbed the back of my neck sheepishly. She sighed and shook her head.

"I swear, are you like new to all this or something?" I laughed and nodded.

"Kind of." She never knew. Kureha has no clue that I was a participant in a death game; and I wish it to stay that way.

"Anyways, I see you managed to log in alright. I hope you weren't waiting long." I shook my head.

"I just logged in, so it's alright." She nodded.

"Sorry for calling you here so suddenly. I know this is your first VRMMO. Anyway, I really appreciate it. Now, let's get going! The tournament's about to start!" I nodded and followed her to where I could sign up.

"By the way, GGO is your first VRMMO, right? Don't worry, I'll show you the ropes." I shook my head.

"It's alright, Kureha. You don't have to. I learn rather quick." I told her. She tilted her head in thought, then smiled and nodded.

"Alright, saves me some time I guess! Anyways, I heard there's a super rare item in this tournament! So even if we don't win, we could still snag that item!" She exclaimed. My eyes widened.

"Really? I wonder what it is? But, if we're looking for it, everyone else will be looking for it as well." I stated. Kureha nodded.

"Exactly, so that means we need to find it before everyone else. My hope is that everyone will be too engrossed in fighting each other, that we will be able to sneak in and grab it." I placed my hand on my chin.

"It makes sense. After all, I'm only a new player. All of my stats are complete garbage compared to an experienced player." She sighed.

"It is what it is... So come on, we need to go!" She pulled me along. We soon found ourselves where we would be sent into the zone. Kureha gasped.

"(Y/N)! Look! That's Itsuki over there! He's one of the top players on the leaderboard!" Kureha exclaimed. I looked to where she had pointed out and spotted a man that had many female admirers. His hair was dark grey, almost looking brown. I couldn't discern the color of his eyes from where we stood, though. There was an air around him. It was something I've felt before, however I couldn't place a finger on it.

"I wonder if he's going to be participating in the tournament too...?" She questioned. Kureha looked over and noticed my puzzled look.

"What's with that look?" I snapped out of my daze and looked back at her. I shook my head.