Chapter Ten (Bazalt Joe)

After we had returned to the city, Kirito and I went our separate ways. I was just leaving the gun shop when a familiar face stopped me.

"Hey! How's business been treating you?" It was Bazalt Joe. I was just on my way to go grab Hikaru from Kureha.

"Is now a good time to talk? I, uh... Erm... Never mind. I shouldn't have bugged you, sorry." I raised a brow.

"Um, if you don't have anything important to say, I have to go..." I trailed off, about to leave and continue on my way. Joe stopped me.

"No, wait! Don't go!" I looked back at him.

"Yes?" I questioned.

"I noticed you didn't bring a, uh... certain someone along with you today like you usually do." I tilted my head in confusion. Did he mean Hikaru?

"I was actually just about to go get him. I was on a quest with Kirito earlier and Hikaru hadn't gone with us." I explained to Joe.

"Another one... Damn that Photon Sword user..." I faintly heard Joe mutter. I chuckled slightly.

"I-I mean, not that I'm saying you should've brought him or anything. I'm just surprised since you two are usually inseparable. So, level with me here: what's the deal between you two?" Silence fell between the two of us. My eyes widened in realization.

"W-what are you trying to say?! Hikaru's just my ArFA-sys! He just so happens to be a close friend!" I exclaimed, a slight blush on my face from Bazalt Joe's assumptions. He appeared shocked, having not known that Hikaru was an AI.

"What?! Really?! THAT'S an AI?! You're not pulling my chain, are you?" I shook my head.

"Seriously, I saw it around town recently and it just straight up fell flat on its face. There wasn't even anything to trip on!" I chuckled and sighed, remembering my encounter with Zeliska last night and how Hikaru had managed to get himself lost.

"It's just so easy-going, too. I had no idea there were any AIs like that... Sorry, I'm getting ahead of myself. I have a big favor to ask you! The kind a man asks only once in his life!" I waited for his response.

"I want you to hand your ArFA-sys over to me!" My eyes widened.

"W-what? I don't think so." He was determined.

"I don't care what it takes. I'll give you everything I have. Hell, if that's not enough, I'd be happy to do even more!" I backed away slightly.

"I'm sorry, but-" He cut me off.

"Look, I know I didn't make the best impression because I'm "Mister Number Two" or whatever, but that's okay! And I know, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, either. But I know a good catch when I see one- and trust me, that AI's a good catch!" I nodded.

"I'm also not-" I was cut off again.

"I mean, sure, it's always screwing something up or saying something dumb, but that's part of its charm. I can't take my eyes off it! I might mostly be good for my strength, but I know I can't muscle my way to real companionship! That takes heart and chemistry! I can tell we have what it takes to hit it off! That's why I want it to be my partner! I don't even care that it's clumsy! It's cute! I know I can raise it to be the best partner it can be! You'll see! So what'll it be, (Y/N)? Will you hand it over to me?" I sweatdropped. I didn't even bother trying to respond until he was done. He bowed politely, practically begging me to hand over Hikaru.

"I'm begging you, please! I've got to have it!" I shook my head.

"I'm sorry, but Hikaru is my friend. I won't just give him away. He's very important to me for personal reasons." Joe seemed very disappointed after hearing my words. He sighed.