Chapter 11 - First kiss

After Caleb left last night, I couldn't stop thinking about the words he had said to me, "Sooner or later, you'll be mine. I always get what I want. And you, Aria - are what I want" were his exact words. I couldn't believe my own stupidity. There was no one else to blame, but myself. I had dug my own grave, and now I was going to have to lay in it.

I took a cold pillow and buried my face in it. What if he never stops? What if I'll have to resist him for the entire semester? My only hope is that he grows tired of the game when I avoid him.

My thoughts were interrupted when my phone went off besides my pillow. I rubbed my eyes and it took about half a minute for me to see clearly.

The text came from Matthew. My heart instantly started beating faster. We hadn't talked that much and whenever he did call me, he had to rush off somewhere. I felt guilty, because honestly - in the midst of everything that has been going on, I managed to forget that he was even coming back.

It was bad enough that I had dirty danced with him and then made out with Caleb an hour later. Maybe I was just overthinking things. I'm not in a relationship, so I should feel free to date and explore my options, right?

"Good morning, beautiful! Can I see u today? :)", said his text.

"Morning sweet talker. Sure, let me know when and where :)," I texted back with a smile on my face.

"How about 5 pm at Macy's ice cream parlor? I'm paying;)"

"Wow, you know a way to a girls heart. Count me in!"

"Can't wait! :)"

I was actually looking forward to our date. I wasn't nervous or anxious about it. Even though we barely knew each other,  he made me feel comfortable and safe.

I changed into black skinny jeans, white tank top and into the jacket that Brett gave me yesterday. I intended to find him and return it to him today, but he was nowhere to be found.

Since there weren't any classes with Caleb or Mr. James - the day was already off to a good start. Although, that didn't keep me from daydreaming about him during a class again. I couldn't focus on anything the professors were saying. Everything went in from one ear and out from the other. Nothing registered in my brain.

I even managed to fall asleep once and dream of Caleb's hands on my body. When I woke up and discovered Mrs. Harrison in front of the class instead of Caleb - let's just say I was slightly confused.

I tried to pay attention to what the professors were saying, but the only thing I heard was the homework that was assigned. At least my brain was useful enough for that.

When the classes ended, I still had an hour to spare. I decided to walk to the ice cream parlor. The wind was starting to grow stronger and the colorful leaves were making circles around me. It really was a beautiful day.

The clock strikes 5 PM and I had made it to Macy's ice cream parlor on time. Matthew was waiting for me in front of the shop. His eyes lit up when he saw me, but I saw the confusion in his eyes when he took a good look at my attire. Crap, I had forgotten to take off Brett's jacket.

"Hey, beautiful."

I grew uncomfortable not knowing how to explain the jacket. I decided to mention it only if he asks about it. "Hey, Matthew," I replied.

"It's good to see you again. I feel like it's been forever. I'm sorry I got busy with preparing for the games. It was pretty intense."

"No, no.. I totally understand. You have nothing to apologize for," especially since I barely noticed how the time had flown when I was constantly fantasizing about a certain professor. I could feel the guilt creeping back and making me nervous.