Chapter 25

© Sweetslover8 2014. It is illegal to copy and/or steal.

~Uploaded July 4th, 2014

Ba ba ba, ba ba na na, ba ba ba, ba ba na na, ba ba ba, ba ba na na, potatooooo!

I swear I'm going to kill Andie for changing my ringtone.

I reached my hand out from beneath the covers to the cool air that lay beyond its warmth and comfort, and patted my hand around the nightstand until it landed on my ringing phone. I grabbed it, pulled it beneath the covers, and hit the answer button.

"What?", I demanded.

"Good morning, Dani!" Andie's cheeriness didn't reach to this side of the line. On the contrary, I felt my eye twitch, either from exhaustion or from annoyance, it was too early to tell. "Do you mind if I ask you something?"

"That depends", I said as I rubbed my forehead. "Is it past nine am?"

"Um... No. It's like, seven."

"Then no, you can't. Call me again in two hours. Bye."

"Wait! Don't hang up, please! It's really important I swear!", Andie begged me.

"How urgent is it on a scale of one to ten?" I considered stuffing my phone into my sock drawer and going back to sleep.

"Honestly, Dani, I'm sixteen years old. That is such a childish way to rate emergencies", Andie said exasperatingly. "But if you must know, somewhere between a five and six, maybe a seven." I rolled my eyes. "I have to head into school early to do something and my parents have already gone to work. And Dylan's sick at home."

"So...?" I had a feeling I wouldn't be going back to sleep for a while if Andie was talking to me. Might as well get up now. I sat up, shivered at the cold air and shuffled down the hall to the staircase.

"So, I was hoping you could pick up a few things for him to make him feel better? Pretty please?" I made my way to the kitchen and the coffee machine, measuring out the beans and adding it and hot water to the machine. "It's for a friend, Dani."

"Yeah, I know." I sighed. "Fine, I'll do it. But just know that you're lucky you and Dylan are my friends or I wouldn't be doing this. I'd probably be cussing you out instead."

"You're as charitable as always", Andie laughed. "Can you be here in an hour if I text you all the stuff?"

"Sure. It'll give me time to slap myself awake." I poured a mug of now-ready coffee and took a sip, which I almost spewed out. "And learn how to make decent coffee. This stuff is nasty." I forced myself to swallow that one disgusting sip and pour the rest into the sink, watching the liquid swirl and disappear down the drain.

"If you get here in forty-five minutes, you can get good coffee. We've got a Keurig...", Andie said in a sing-song voice. I let out a puff of air.

"You and your brother are annoying when you try to bribe me."

"But you never refuse, do you?", she said.

"Just text me the stupid list", I told her. Andie laughed, said goodbye and hung up. I sighed and waited for the text. The things I did in the name of friendship...

~~~~~~~~

"Good morning Dani!" Andie greeted me at the door less than an hour later with a smile and a hug. How could she be so cheery when it was before eight am during a gloomy day in October? She seriously surprised me with her optimism sometimes.

"If only it were. Where's the coffee?" I was only half-joking, but returned her hug and followed her into the kitchen.

"Sheesh, someone's grumpy this morning. And stop frowning." She lightly pinched my cheek with a grin. "You look like a prune."