Transgender

Let's start out with a few basic rules.
•Please don't be one of these people:
-Hi, my name is Fred. Well, it used to be. Now it's Freddette. Most trans people don't use anything close to their birthname, though they may choose something that starts with the same letter.
•Don't be afraid of HRT
-It's so rare to find a good story where the character is taking hormones. Please people, don't be afraid to include this! It's a real part of many trans people's lives, and can really add some realism to your story. Also, don't shy away from surgeries! Also, make sure you research the effects of HRT. Using these can really help bring realism to your story and can help your reader relate more and see them as a real, fleshed out character.
•Be respectful
-A good chance is, you're cis, which basically means you identify with the gender you were assigned at birth. This means you don't know what it's like to be trans. So just keep this in mind, and do your research and you're pretty much good to go!
Don't call trans people:
•Transgenders
-this is just grammatically incorrect
•Transgendered
-see "transgenders"
•by the wrong pronouns
-why would you even consider doing this? unless you're story takes place before they come out to themselves, NEVER use they're old pronouns
•by their dead name
-for those who don't know what this is, this is the name that you're parents gave you at birth. this may also be referred to as a birth name. but please, never use a trans person dead name, in a story or in real life. for the reason why, see "by the wrong pronouns"
•transsexual
-this one kind of depends on who you ask, but many trans people will say that transsexual is implying that there is something sexual about being trans, which is so wrong. so many trans people will probably not approve of he use of this word.
•born in the wrong body
-again, kind of depends on who you ask. some trans people will say that this is just outdated, some just outright disagree with this phrase, and some don't mind it. the reason why not to use this is because it is an overused trope that often doesn't contain much truth in it.
•any slurs whatsoever
-no

Major Do's and Do Not's for FTM's:
Do's:
•Make sure your character is binding safely
•Do your research on testosterone injections
•Do your research on surgeries
•Packing is ok!
USE HE/HIM PRONOUNS WHEN REFERRING TO HIM
Do Not's:
•Have him bind unsafely (ace bandages, duct tape, etc.)
•Call his chest area feminine terms. This is a big trigger for dysphoria
•Call his downstairs area anything feminine. Again, huge trigger for dysphoria
USE SHE/HER PRONOUNS WHEN REFERRING TO HIM

Major Do's and Do Not's for MTF's:
Do's:
•Do your research on tucking
•Do your research on estrogen injections
•Do your research on surgeries
USE SHE/HER PRONOUNS WHEN REFERRING TO HER
Do Not's:
•Call her downstairs area anything masculine.
Huge trigger for dysphoria
USE HE/HIM PRONOUNS WHEN REFERRING TO HER

Glossary:

agab:
An acronym. Stands for Assigned Gender At Birth. The "g" can be swapped out for a "f" meaning female, or an "m" meaning male.

Binding:
When transmasculine people flatten their chests to give the appearance of a flat chest to help pass.

Dead Name:
What trans people call the name they're given at birth. (Also called: Birth name, Given name, Assigned Name)

Dysphoria:
A feeling of intense dissociation, sometimes leading to hatred, of your agab's secondary sex characteristics.

Packing:
When transmasculine people try to give the appearance of a bulge to pass, or to feel more comfortable in their skin.

Passing:
A term for when a trans person passes as the gender they identify as.

Tucking:
When transfeminine people hide away their penis, and occasionally their testicles, to give the appearance of what a person assigned female at birth would look like downstairs.