DAY 16 - THEY GIVE TO THE POOR, ORPHAN AND CAPTIVE

In Sahih al-Bukhari and Muslim, Ibn Abbaas radhiallahu 'anhuma said the Prophet sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam was the most generous man, and he was the most generous in Ramadhaan when Jibreel 'alayhis-salaam would come down and review the Qur'an with him. Jibreel would come down and review the Qur'an with him every single night during the nights of Ramadhaan. When Jibreel 'alayhis-salaam would come and review the Qur'an with the Prophet Muhammad sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam, he was more generous than the free blowing wind. Why did Ibn Abbaas radhiallahu 'anhuma compare the generosity of the Prophet sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam to the free blowing wind? Number one, to show you how quick, fast and speedy he was - he was hastening to give charity at the speed of wind. Number two, it is also to show you that he did not discriminate. The wind touches everyone and that is how the charity of the Prophet sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam was - it touched everyone.

Ash-Shaafi'ee Rahimahullah said I wish for one to be generous in Ramadhaan, to follow in accordance with the Prophet Muhammad sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam - because many get occupied with worship and neglect the charity aspect. In previous Khawaatir, we mentioned how the Salaf said that Qur'an and charity in Ramadhaan have no third to them - meaning they have no equivalent to them.

When you are dealing with Allah, it is not about giving a lot - it is about giving, even if it is not a lot. One dollar could be worth more than a million. The Hadith in Sunan an-Nasaa'ee:
سَبَقَ دِرْهَمٌ مِائَةَ أَلْفِ دِرْهَمٍ
A Dirham surpassed a hundred thousand Dirhams.
One dollar can get you more reward than a million dollars. If all you have is two dollars and you give one dollar, you are giving half of your wealth. For a millionaire to get the same reward you got, he has to give millions in order for him to have given half of his wealth.
When you give charity, keep in mind that you should be humble. You should feel honored that you were allowed to give. You should be overwhelmed that Allah gave you and you gave for the sake of Allah, and you should be ecstatic that someone accepted. What I am saying is you are only really doing yourself a favour.

And whatever you spend in good, it is for yourselves.
(Surat al-Baqarah: 272)

If the poor beggar does not get it from you, Allah is going to provide him. Feel honoured that Allah honoured you, by allowing you to give him. What I am saying is give, say thank you to the one you gave and say Alhamdulillah to Allah. You are not doing anybody but yourself a favour.
Also keep in mind, do not belittle any good deed:
لاَ تَحْقِرَنَّ مِنَ الْمَعْرُوفِ شَيْئًا
Ibn Umar radhiallahu 'anhuma used to carry sugar, which would possibly be interpreted today to mean like candy. They would say why would you give this in charity? He said because I love it and Allah said:

By no means shall you attain Al-Birr (piety, righteousness, etc; it means here Allah's Reward, i.e. Paradise), unless you spend (in Allah's Cause) of that which you love. (Surat Aali 'Imraan: 92)

One time, Umar gave a grape. They said a grape? That does not quench a thirst or fill a stomach. He said:

So whosoever does good equal to the weight of an atom (or a small ant), shall see it.
(Surat az-Zalzalah: 7)

On the scale, Allah will bring something that is the weight of a mustard seed, so he told them this grape is more than the weight of a mustard seed.
We told you how Abud-Dahdaah radhiallahu 'anhu read the verse:

Who is it that would loan Allah a goodly loan?
(Surat al-Baqarah: 245)

He told the Prophet sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam, Allah wants a loan from us? The Prophet sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam said yes. He said give me your hand O Prophet of Allah, I give you my orchard of dates - that was where he was living, and it was the best of many properties he owned. He told his wife we have given this to Allah and the Prophet sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam. She took her kids, took the food out of their mouths and pockets and put it down.