Chapter 5: The Thief (Luna's POV)

It has been months since I joined the Travel and Expense Team. I somehow managed to grasp the end-to-end process. I never knew I could still cope up despite the challenges I was facing. I had set a meeting with my supervisor to talk about the thing I came up with. I was pretty excited as I thought things were running smoothly...again.

Appointment time: 10 am Location: El Paso meeting room

It was only 9:45am but I already went to the meeting room. I was busy trying to spot check my presentation for my project. It was already 10:30 when she came in. I was disappointed but I didn't show it.

"Good morning, Virginia." I greeted. "Thank you for coming to this meeting." I added.

"Morning. Shall we start?" It was a plain response. No hint of enthusiasm. I can't back down now.

"Before I introduce the project, I want to run thru with you the current process in the team." I showed the high level process of the team using Visio and explained diligently the whole process. "The target of the project is to eliminate the printing and cuing at the printer for the daily activity of the team which is the monitoring of the interface for the approved expense reports of the employees." I slowly introduce to her my idea. "If we go paperless, we will save time for the cuing which is roughly 5 to 10 mins per person a day, and some money for the ink and paper that we usually use which is around 60 cents per page. The average page we print is no less than 10 pages which we usually use 5 sheets of paper a day and every day we need to print the reports. So when you do the calculation, the cost per year is estimated to be around 1,080.00 USD." I continued giving her the idea of the huge amount spent in printing the document. "Storage cost was not even counted. And the wasted time for the cuing." I reminded her.

When I was about to lay down the pros and cons, she suddenly asked: "So how are we going to implement it?" She sounded a bit engrossed on the topic. Something isn't right. Warning bells.

"The file is downloadable from the system and the analyst must save it as HTM format to avoid the changes that might accidentally be made in the file; while for the errors, we can screen shot it before and after the correction were made." I explained. "We can save the files in the common folder of the team and have a proper label." I continued.

"Okay. I will discuss this with Ms. Jen first."

"Noted on this. I will send the sample and summary to you later."

Two weeks have passed and no feedback was given. April 8, 2016 we had our very first team meeting with Ms. Jen at 42nd floor high performance room.

"Good afternoon everyone." Ms. Jen greeted.

"Good afternoon." We greeted in unison. I sat next to JK since it was farthest away from my dearest manager.

"First, I would like to congratulate everyone for having no incident this quarter. Great job everyone!" There was a round of applause. I just observe everyone. Bad habit to break, I guess.

"Also, I would like to implement the process enhancement that Virginia came up with." I suddenly got nervous with no apparent reason. "She wants the process to be 100% paperless for monitoring of the interfaced approved expense reports of the employees from the web tool." I was in shock.

This can't be happening! This can't be true! She stole my idea. Why?!

The meeting ended and there was some snacks provided as a reward for the project to be implemented and for the no incident quarter with the team. I excused myself and went to the comfort room to calm myself down and hold back my tears due to disappointment.

Slowly all of it is being taken away. What else is left to be snatched away from me?