Chapter 2

"What's that?" Mark asked at breakfast. For once, they had decided to sit down together and cook. It was Mark's idea, probably because he wanted to finally question if his best friend was okay. After witnessing him have countless nightmares and seeing his bruises that just got worse as the days passed, he finally felt like he had no choice but to intervene.

"What?" Ethan replied. Mark's gaze was fixed on Ethan's neck so Ethan felt it with one of his hands. He recoiled once he felt the sting of the cut. He had completely forgotten about it when he woke up. "It's nothing, I-"

"It isn't nothing... What happened? It looks like someone's held a knife against your throat." Mark chuckled after finishing the last sentence, obviously joking. Ethan's expression hardened so the humour drained from the other's face. "Ethan... did someone do this to you?"

"No, I-" But Ethan couldn't form a decent excuse. The only option was the truth. "Technically no. I've been having nightmares... " Mark nodded, unsure of how that related to the cut on Ethan's throat. "There's this... version of myself. He calls himself Blank. When I sleep, he- he- he tortures me. Last night, he had a knife so," Ethan gestured to his throat. "That happened."

"You're telling me this happened in a dream, right. Tell me the truth, Eth."

"I am. He's been haunting me since I can last remember."

"This isn't a joke."

"I'm not joking! He's making my life hell. Did you never wonder why I couldn't sleep?" His voice was shaking as tears began to well up in his eyes.

"That does make sense... come here, Eth." Mark wrapped his arms around the younger man, rubbing his back gently. "Sleep with me tonight," He whispered. "I'll be there for you if you get hurt."

-

Sleeping with Mark made it worse. All it did was introduce Ethan to a new face: a man named Dark. He looked exactly like his friend but in no way did his personality represent Mark's. It made him see a new side of Blank though. A side that was just as scared as Ethan.

"Well, well, well. I finally get to meet the famous Ethan in person," The evil version of Mark circled Ethan, as if he was his prey. "I'm Dark by the way. For as long as you sleep with that guy, you'll be dealing with me too. And, trust me, I'm not as weak and pathetic as him." Dark pointed at Blank who was shaking, the black tears already dripping down his cheeks.

"No," Ethan stepped closer to the man, no matter how menacing he seemed. He looked straight into his eyes, searching the red for any remains of his best friend. "Mark? Are you in there?"

Dark's response was to bark out a loud laugh. "Pathetic. Just like Blank. Mark isn't anywhere. He can't save you."

"He can if I scream!" Ethan opened his mouth to yell but Dark was quick to send Blank a command. Blank's hands were then covering his mouth so he couldn't yell, as much as he wanted to. He thrashed around, trying to push his evil ego away. He needed to escape.

"If you promise not to scream, he'll let go."  Ethan stopped with his fidgeting so Blank uncovered his mouth but stayed close.

"Are you going to kill me?"

"That's no fun, now is it?"

-

Ethan had never been more glad to wake up. Even though he had been through hell in his dreams, punches, knives against his throat..., not once before had he been more relieved to wake up. Mark was asleep beside him, quiet breaths leaving his open mouth. He looked so peaceful and calm which made Ethan shudder. He sincerely hoped Dark stayed inside his dreams rather than his friend's.

He'd withhold the torture if it meant his friend stayed safe.

Ethan slipped out of the bed as slowly as possible so he didn't disturb Mark's sleeping figure. He headed across the hall to his own bedroom, even though it was pushing five in the morning. He had slept for around four hours which was better than usual so he actually felt rather refreshed. He got dressed into some day clothes (skinny jeans and a baggy jumper) and then unplugged his phone from where it had been left on charge in the kitchen.

He pocketed it, slipped on a pair of shoes and left the house.

The world seemed so much more at peace at such an early time. The sun was the only sign of light, pinks and yellows illuminating the sky and making the city look so much more pretty. It was fairly cold but Ethan's jumper kept him warm enough. The breeze was blowing his hair in all different directions so he kept having to bring a hand up to it and brush it back to normal. But that wasn't annoying. It was calming.

Walking was therapeutic. The world was silent as it slept so the only sound was the rustling of leaves and Ethan's light footsteps. It helped him calm down and not think about Blank.

Okay okayyy

Serious question: should I make Ethan and Mark date?? I've already written out this entire book so (SPOILERS) they don't actually date in this one... but I am considering a sequel where I could make stuff happen? If you want? I'd need to know asap because I'm doing some stuff with the sequel alreadyyy (it probably won't be posted though because im struggling with it but stilllll).

The reason they're not officially together in this one in because I wanted to focus the story on Dark and Blank, rather than a relationship :p