Chapter 11

Sorry if some grammar mistakes go unnoticed. I'm reading back through this at almost four in the morning because I feel terrible and I've messed up my sleeping schedule so bad

"Ethan, why are you still awake?" (I'm currently asking myself the same question) Mark asked, his eyebrows furrowed in concern. Ethan just shrugged, barely looking up from his laptop to meet Mark's gaze. He was trying to get ahead with his editing but really that was simply an excuse not to sleep.

"Editing." He mumbled. He cut down one of the clips, feeling like Mark was watching him over his shoulder (because he was).

"You should sleep. I could sleep next to you and wake you up if- wait no that's a stupid idea." Mark laughed at himself but it was obvious he was still apprehensive.

"I'll be fine. You go to bed."

"Promise you'll try and sleep within the next hour?"

"Fine. As soon as I finish editing. Does that make you feel better?"

Mark nodded and smiled gently at his friend before leaving the room.

As soon as he left, Ethan could have sworn he saw a shadow move in the corner. He blamed it on his exhaustion but it wasn't just him being tired.

Something or someone was in the room with him.

-

Ethan woke up with an intense pain in his neck. He had slept without dreaming at all for the first time in a while. Not even Blank had made an appearance. He felt more refreshed than ever before, despite the sharp pain in his neck. Falling asleep at his desk had been a big mistake but he couldn't have done anything to stop that. Well... maybe he could but he didn't care.

He glanced at the clock on the wall to see the hands were pointing at twelve and five. He had only slept for about five hours but that was a lot to him. He cracked his neck, shutting down his computer properly and heading to his bedroom.

-

"What time is it?" Ethan mumbled, rubbing his eyes. Both Blank and Mark were sat at the kitchen table and Blank had a bowl of cereal in front of him. He kept picking up the spoon really obscurely, as if he had never seen a spoon before.

"Eleven. I didn't want to wake you because you looked really peaceful." Mark replied before assisting Blank and showing him how to properly hold a spoon. Ethan let out a tiny chuckle at the sight: a demon who looked like an adult but was unable to use a simple piece of cutlery.

"How'd you sleep?" He directed the question at both of them but Mark was the first to answer.

"The same as usually really, you?"

"I've never slept so well." Ethan turned to look at Blank who was too transfixed in his cereal to notice he had been asked a question. Mark tapped him on the shoulder, making him jump violently and drop the spoon in the process.

"I slept okay, I guess. Sleeping isn't exactly something demons do but it was kind of fun. Shutting down my body so I'm completely defenceless for eight hours or so."

Mark and Ethan both laughed at Blank's lack of knowledge of the way the humankind worked but, in reality, his innocence and naivety was pretty adorable.

-

"You're the same size as Ethan, right? I mean, you must be if you're his evil ego thing." Mark mumbled, mostly to himself. Ethan was standing beside him, sifting through his drawers that really needed clearing out.

"Why do I need more clothes? I like this outfit." Blank bit his lip, gesturing to his black shirt, skinny jeans and boots.

"Because there's this thing us humans like to call hygiene."

"I know what hygiene is you doofus. I just have a million of these shirts and trousers."

"Here, try this." Ethan chucked him one of old hoodies that he had stopped wearing for no reason other than he had forgotten it had existed. Blank looked at it with an immense amount of disgust on his face.

"I don't wear colour."

Ethan rolled his eyes, making Blank sigh. "I guess I'll wear it though... just whilst my clothes are in the wash."

"You do realise you can go back to the demon world any time, right?" Ethan questioned. Blank looked down at the shirt in his hand to avoid the human's gaze and sighed. "But I get it. You're not ready to see Dark again."