Chapter 5

I have to stay an extra hour at school and I'm already so tired of everything blehhh... I just... can't do iiiiit. Exams can go die. School can go die. I'm not even stressed? I'm just too tired to be bothered to do anything anymore

ANYWAYS :p

How are you?

"If you ever talk to Blank like that again, I'll kill you, okay? He is not normal like I am. He is a pathetic demon who deserves nothing. Just like you're a pathetic human who deserves nothing." Dark was trying to drill the bad thoughts and insecurities into Ethan's brain. He was trying not to listen though. He believed that Blank had a conscience and Dark was the one poisoning his thoughts and manipulating him into doing bad things.

"No," Blank spoke up, eyebrows furrowed. It was in that moment Ethan noticed how white the demon was. He looked like a ghost, pale enough to represent someone who was no longer living. Blank looked like he was no longer living mentally, only dragging himself through the days physically. "You can't do that."

"And why's that, Blank?" Dark sounded like he was testing Blank. He sounded overly calm and composed, especially since he had literally just threatened Ethan's life.

"Because if you kill him, you kill me."

"Who said I cared about you?"

The other demon's mouth dropped open and then those dreaded black tears formed. "You don't? I thought-" His voice was cracking, a sign of weakness.

"You thought wrong. You need me. I don't need you."

"Dark, I thought you loved me..."

"Right." Blank's gaze dropped to his boots as the black dripped onto the floor. The tears were quickly absorbed by the ground, ignored like Blank's emotions were.

"Dark-" Ethan spoke up but he was shoved against the wall.

"Don't you try anything smart. You may be cute but that doesn't mean I'll ever go easy on you."

"ETHAN!" Someone yelled. The voice echoed around the environment, making all three of them look around to find the owner of it. "WAKE UP!"

"He can't save you." Dark muttered, sending a punch flying towards Ethan's face. He let out a short yelp at the unexpected pain. "He'll never be able to. Either I will end up killing you or you'll end up killing yourself. Hey, maybe even Blank will do us a favour and do it for us."

"I won't die." Blood dripped down to their feet; it was coming from Ethan's nose. He didn't think it was broken but it sure was bleeding a lot.

"You let yourself believe that."

"ETHAN!" Dark had just ruffled Ethan's hair with his dirty hands before his eyes jerked open.

"Why did you do that?" Ethan wiped his nose with his arm, leaving a trail of red. Mark frowned before leaving the room and coming back with a tissue. He sat cross-legged in front of Ethan and leaned forward to dab (*dabs*) Ethan's bleeding nose with the tissue.

"So you expect me to just let you sleep whilst you're mumbling the name of my ego?"

Ethan cast his gaze to his lap before he slowly hugged his legs against his chest. His eyes had glazed over with tears and he jumped when Mark put a hand on his shoulder. His nose was no longer bleeding but the tissue was almost completely red. "I didn't want you to know."

"Was there ever a Blank? Or was it always me- my ego torturing you?" Mark didn't sound angry at the thought that Ethan had lied, he just seemed upset. With himself? With Ethan? Ethan wasn't too sure.

"No, there is Blank. Dark has only started showing up recently. When I... When I sleep with you."

"Oh... then why did you continue to sleep with me? Is this my fault?"

"No. I like waking up next to someone. It reminds me I'm safe and they can't get me here... in the real world."

"I still think you should get help. This isn't... normal."

"Are you telling me I'm insane? Do you want me to be locked up inside some mental asylum?" Ethan's voice was getting louder as his hands clenched at his sides; maybe it was the lack of sleep that was making him both jumpy and antsy.

"No, Ethan. I'm just worried. You can't carry on living like this."

Ethan shook his head, mumbling mostly to himself, "You think I'm a headcase." Mark must have heard though because he looked up with tear-filled eyes.

"I don't. I just-"

"I don't want to hear it." Ethan walked out of Mark's bedroom and slammed the door behind him.

He thinks you're a headcase. He thinks you're crazy. He wants you out of the house and locked up in a mental asylum.

The voice in his head was familiar. Dark.

He slipped on shoes quicker than ever before and left the house. He needed to walk. He wasn't entirely sure where he'd go but at that point he didn't care. He needed to escape.

Oh expect an update late tomorrow (if I don't forget) because I don't think I'll be able to update on Saturday!