.•/Chapter~1\•.

Robinpaw looked at her brother excitedly as they padded out of camp for their first battle training.

"It's only our second day as apprentices and already we get to fight like warriors!", Robinpaw squealed in excitement.

Foggypaw opened his mouth to speak, but was cut off by his mentor, Egretflow.

"You'll just be learning the best way to pounce. If you guys aren't tired out by the time you've nearly mastered it, Patchclaw will show you how to do paw swipes", Egretflow said as he led the small group.

Both apprentices groaned.

"Hey, don't fuss. The pounce is the most important thing to learn. It's how you hunt, and if done with enough speed, an ambush", Patchclaw said from behind.

Robinpaw pricked her large ears. "So we'll be learning how to be assassins!"

"We don't have assas-", Egretflows nervous voice was cut off as Foggypaw sprang onto his back, trying to bite his ears.

"Imma kill you!", Foggypaw growled. Soon after, he fell off of Egretflow's mottled pelt as the warrior easily shook him off.

"Save your energy for facing your sister", Egretflow grumbled as they continued at a faster pace.

Foggypaw quickly shot Robinpaw a meager hiss. She huffed angrily at the challenge.

They kept padding, and quickly came upon the training island.

Egretflow hopped over the small stream with ease. "It's closer than it looks", he said.

Robinpaw could see Foggypaw's ears flick with nervousness, but he bunched up and leaped over the stream a small distance from the edge. He turned around and looked at her, a large smile on his face.

Robinpaw looked down at the water calmly rushing past. She knew she shouldn't be, but she was scared.

"If you fall I'll go after you", Patchclaw said.

Robinpaw looked up at him curiously, trying to distract herself. "You can swim?"

Patchclaw shrugged. "Flightstar used to make us learn how to swim one of our first days of training, but I guess she realized it was unnecessary."

Robinpaw looked backed at the water, feeling safer. She took a deep breath and crouched to leap, but she hesitated.

"If you keep your hind legs tucked in tighter, you'll go farther," Egretflow said.

Robinpaw did as suggested. She focused on the bank not at all far away and ignored the water.

With a leap, Robinpaw successfully bounded over the stream and landed a safe distance from the edge. Robinpaw shook herself out, releasing her fear and going back to normal.

Patchclaw leaped over and nodded approvingly at her. "Good job, Robinpaw. It's hard for cats to overcome their fears."

"And I jumped farther than Foggypaw!," Robinpaw smiled and looked at her brother.

His blue eyes rolled. "No one told me about tucking in my front paws."

"Hind paws," Robinpaw corrected.

"That's what I said," Foggypaw snorted.

"Well now you know, Foggypaw. So let's go." Egretflow flicked his tail then padded into the center of the island. "Patchclaw will demonstrate the specific way to pounce."

Robinpaw sat down and watched with a flick of her tail as her mentor padded up to Egretflow. He crouched down low, tucked his legs in tightly, kept his tail still.