.•/Chapter~3\•.

Lionrose quietly sorted his herbs. Rain pattered on the top of his den, and a small leak in the corner was slowly making a puddle

Lionrose's head popped up as Patchclaw padded in, his drenched pelt clinging to his well-muscled frame.

"Are you ok?," Lionrose asked, concerned.

"I was out hunting and chased off a Mapleclan cat that was trying to steal our prey. He hit me pretty hard." Patchclaw walked over to him and rubbed his bleeding nose.

Lionrose looked at it, and grabbed a few cobwebs from his storage.

"Just put these up your nose. It'll feel weird, but the bleeding will eventually stop."

Like always, Lionrose feared he made a mistake, but continued.

Patchclaw awkwardly put them up his nose and began breathing through his mouth. "Thanks," the tom said before padding out of the medicine den.

Lionrose smiled and stared after the brown tabby.

He felt a twinge of sadness that he couldn't risk himself for the clan. That he couldn't gloat over victories or even protect himself.

I can't even protect myself. What if Mapleclan tries doing the same thing that we did? I should talk to Flightstar about this.

Lionrose quickly finished sorting and trotted out of his den. He stood in the entrance way, looking across the clearing for the leader.

Lionrose spotted her sitting out her den in the rain, looking up at the sky.

Lionrose quickly scampered over and sat next to her. Flightstar looked at him with icy blue eyes. She nodded a greeting. Lionrose returned the gesture.

"Um...since all the apprentices are focusing on fighting, do you think I should too?," Lionrose looked up at her. "I think it would be beneficial, especially if Mapleclan tries to do what we did."

Flightstar looked at him curiously before looking across the deserted camp thoughtfully.

"I understand your logic, Lionrose. However, it's not a medicine cats duty to protect."

Lionrose was slightly agitated by her response. "They are my herbs. And a warrior would probably be too busy to focus on my den."

"Maybe we should have you be with a warrior at all times," Flightstar suggested.

"I don't need to be watched over like a kit," Lionrose said with a slight hiss.

Flightstar huffed. "All kits want to fight. I'll ask Lightscale to stay with you."

Lionrose gritted his teeth. The rain that had seeped through his thick fur was not helping his irritated mood.

"The half moon's tonight. Lightscale won't be able to come," he said.

Flightstar shrugged. "There wouldn't be any trouble if she just didn't go into the StarCave."

Lionrose sighed quietly and nodded. He wished Brookrush never left. He wished he could be a normal warrior.

But neither things would be possible. Brookrush had been fearful of what would happen to the clans, and no one could replace him as the medicine cat.

He felt stuck living a life he didn't want.

Lionrose walked out of camp, eager to be alone in his troubled thoughts. Lionrose walked underneath a large willows drooping branches into a dark cave created by it. The branches kept most of the rain from getting in, creating a warm, dry space.