Twenty-Five

Baz had told Cass that inviting Andro to her private residence was a bad idea, and as she sat there in her parlor, ignoring the hot cup of tea before her, she was beginning to agree with him.

Andro was one of the last to see Lilia before her death, and in order to lay her spirit to rest, Cass just needed to know.

She needed to know why.

What was it about the Lord that drew her attention away from all responsibility and obligation? What made him so much more important than her family?

Baz warned her that there may be some answers she didn't want to know.

Cass didn't care.

Nor was she going to be stupid about meeting the man who had been her sister's obsession and asked Wil to monitor everything from the roof of the building across the way. He had hesitated, saying he shouldn't know where she lived, and she told him to shut up, take her money, and if he tried to do anything with that information she'd toss him off the roof herself.

She didn't trust Wil, but she trusted him more than Andro.

A knock on the door had her looking up, watching the entryway of the parlor in anticipation. She heard Lucas open the door, and another deep male voice made his presence known. Sitting straighter in her chair, she smoothed out her tunic - today was not a day for dresses and distractions. Cass had a purpose in this meeting, and she would not play a part to get the answers she needed.

Moments later, Lucas entered first, followed by a tall, dark tan-skinned, broad-shouldered man with storm gray eyes and black hair neatly pulled behind his head with a leather wrap. The instant she saw him, she was certain he was the man she saw the night she was on the roof with Wil, and her jaw clenched as the memory of the blonde woman on his arm flooded over her.

Clenching her fists, she stood as Lucas introduced Lord Andro Millian, who gave her a courteous bow while the parlor doors shut behind him.

"Have a seat, Lord Millian," Cass said as she motioned to the chair across from her. "I'm sure you could use some refreshment after such a journey."

"I appreciate your hospitality," he assured her with a soft purr of an accent, taking the offered seat, "but I am fine for the moment. What I would like to know is the purpose of such an invitation. A woman such as yourself, with so much to do in the next couple of days- surely there is little time to waste on someone like me."

Straight to the point, then.

"Lord Millian—"

"Andro. Please."

"Andro- I know you knew my sister. I know you were there the day she died."

"Ah," he said, sitting back in his chair. "So, you've summoned me here to interrogate me? And here I thought this was going to be a conversation in silk."

Cass furrowed her brows at that, finally taking her own chair. "I'm sorry to disappoint you, but you were the only other one there."

"And do you not trust the word of your fiancé?"

"It's your word I want to hear," she said levelly.

He watched her with eyes are gray as a winter's storm, and she had to wonder if his temperament was just as dangerous and uncertain. It took him a few moments before he said anything, just as she was about to press him further.

"You do know your sister tried to kill me," he started.

"So, I've been informed."

"And it is my understanding you also know that she took it upon herself to finish the task."