06 // officially missing

EDITED: 27 June, 2021.

||

February 14, 2008. 11:31 A.M.

The fourteen-year old girl had been lying in bed in her dorm room, head under the pillow and headphones pressed firmly over her ears. She was sick of people. Everyone was far too excited for the winter holidays. What was so great about returning home for two weeks? They were all leaving tomorrow, everyone packing.

Her roommate, another faceless individual she was forced to interact with on a daily basis, was zooming around their room and humming loudly to her alternative rock.

Altaira could remember feeling annoyed.

She wanted to talk with Jarvis but couldn't because her roommate was an imbecile who wouldn't be able to appreciate artificial intelligence with a personality. Her father had been developing him for years now, and she viewed him as his own entity. She also couldn't talk to him because she'd accidently smashed her phone when it dropped out of her pocket two days ago.

She'd told Bambi, and the woman had informed her that she'd order a new one immediately. Altaira had denied, saying she'd buy another one while she was stateside. She regretted that now, his silence clear in her mind as she lost her most trusted confidant.

But then Madam Gautier had entered, tapping Altaira on her shoulder because they needed to talk. With a sigh, Altaira had gotten up. She followed the woman out of the room, through the halls as she ignored everyone around her.

They were staring at her, but she did her best to ignore them. Altaira had thought they were over this (and later she realised that they hadn't been staring because of who her father was, they were staring because of what had happened to her father).

Instead of stopping in some empty room, Madam Gautier kept walking. Altaira brushed her back over her shoulder, nervously. She wished she'd had the foresight to grab a hair tie as the wind blew strands of hair back into her face. However, the more important issue was the fact that they were apparently heading to the headmaster's office.

The last time she'd been there, he had been threatening to expel her when the police had dragged her back after the academy had reported her missing when she snuck out of the school grounds late at night and hitchhiked a ride to Paris.

It had even a warranted a call to her father. She'd just laughed when Pepper had been the one to answer the call, as apparently Tony Stark was too busy. With what? Partying? Congrats to him, she'd rather not see his face.

He'd missed her birthday last year completely. Didn't even bother to mention anything to her, having flown out to some country a few days prior. At least the year before, he'd bothered to congratulate her for coming a year closer to her death a week after her birthday.

Altaira wracked her brains, trying to think about anything she could've done that would've got them mad at her. They couldn't possibly have found out about all the times she'd hacked the school's server and caused them to crash. Maybe this was about the fact that she'd thrown her entire tray of food for dinner at Séraphine (what did they expect? Séraphine still hated her because, despite the academies best wishes, the blonde hag was destined to be a dastardly spoiled brat).

Madam Gautier pushed the door to the office open, letting Altaira walk in first.

The dark-haired girl blinked in surprise when she saw both the Headmaster and Pepper look up from where they were discussing seriously from across the desk.

Madam Gautier closed the door behind them, waving a hand for Altaira to sit.

Altaira sent Pepper a smile as she came forward, leaning slightly so she could see what they were looking at, "hey, what are you doing here, Pepper?" She joked, "I wasn't supposed to see you till tomorrow..." Her words broke off, eyes fixating to the sliver of the Headmaster's computer screen that she could see.