08 // kid

EDITED: 11 July, 2021.

||

May 3, 2008. 3:49 P.M.

Her hands glided over the keyboard, eyes closed and head nodding in sync to the melodious tune. She didn't need to look at the old sheets of music in front of her, with loved edges and notes written by her grandmother, having already remembered the piece by heart.

Of all her hobbies, she was sure anyone would say piano was her least destructive method of passing time.

They'd passed the three-month mark a few days ago.

Rhodey had called again, saying he didn't know how much longer they'd keep searching. Most had lost hope that he was alive, some speculating he had been killed in the initial attack, despite the fact that there hadn't even been evidence of his charred body at the initial scene.

Her fingers stretched to reach between two distant notes, nodding when the sound was clear. According to Jarvis, this was the last song her dad ever heard his mother play. Sometimes, playing it made her feel closer to him. Other times, it felt like a sharp reminder of the deaths that followed. A comfort and a curse.

She restarted the song again when she reached the end, not wanting her peace to end.

Jarvis interrupted, his omnipresent voice emerging above the notes of the grand piano, "Miss Stark."

"Hmm?" She responded, letting the muscle memory of her fingers continue the song.

"Ms. Potts is about to reach the driveway. I would recommend you go out and see her."

Altaira's hands slowed, "why's that?"

"It would likely be best if Ms. Potts explained the matter to you."

"Jarvis, if this is about my dad—"

"Miss Stark."

She sighed, getting up. She felt her heart in the back of her throat. This was it. He was dead. Jarvis was just being nice and letting another human tell her. Altaira moved quickly through the house, and out the front door. Just as Jarvis had stated, Happy and Pepper had just arrived.

Pepper got out of the car, crying.

Altaira shoved her hands in the pockets of her black sweatpants, taking a deep breath.

But Pepper was smiling as she cried.

Altaira blinked, "Peps, you alright?" The woman reached Altaira and brought her into a tight hug, pressing a kiss to the crown of her forehead like she used to when Altaira was a kid. After giving her an awkward number of back pats, Altaira pushed away. "Hey, what's wrong? You're scaring me."

Pepper squeezed Altaira's shoulders softly, "they've found him."

Say what now?

"What?"

"He's alive, Taira. They've found him, I've just spoken to Rhodey on the phone. He's okay, they're bringing him back now."

Altaira choked out, "he's alive?"

"Yes." Pepper brought her into another tight hug, as Altaira felt like she was just floundering helplessly inside. The orange-haired woman continued, slightly nudging the frozen girl as she brushed away her own tears. "Come on, we need to hurry. We need to beat them to the military base. Get dressed, I'll freshen up."

Altaira nodded helplessly, rushing up to her own room. She got dressed in the outfit that her maid had helpfully pulled out for her (she didn't think she would've been able to choose anything for herself right now) and didn't even flinch when the woman pulled her dark hair up into a bun with a decorative piece.