07 // harassment

EDITED: 4 July, 2021.

||

April 30, 2008. 6:12 P.M.

After the first couple of days, their hopes had dimmed slightly.

Despite that, they kept there heads up and words enthusiastic during the media conferences and statements (In the end, Altaira hadn't been able to escape them despite her supposed trauma).

She'd stood on that platform, hands wrapped clenching the sides of the lectern as she stared at the masses of media ahead of her. She wore a simple pearl-coloured dress and blazer, with her hair pulled back so tight she already had a headache. Altaira had read from the script, trying to force emotion into her face. She talked about how much she missed her father (lies) and that they prayed he was safe where he was (kinda true), finishing with how they were sure his rescue would come swiftly (not a lie).

Obadiah had spoke next, giving her a hug on that stage as if he cared for her. She'd only remembered she actually needed to wrap her hands around him when he gave her a warning squeeze. Altaira pulled away as soon as she could, slipping off stage and standing with Pepper as she listened to Obadiah. He gave his condolences, as if her father was already dead, reminiscing about how terrifyingly similar this felt to the time her grandparents had lost their lives.

She'd barely been able to hide her snort, as if he cared. Years ago, he'd forbidden her from playing any of Maria's favoured piano songs when they'd been standing with Pepper while Altaira had been practicing.

Yet, when no one had been there and she'd been playing Maria's most favourite song, he hadn't even said a word, much less noticed. His entire persona seemed to be built on lie about his care for the dear Stark's, no matter which generation.

It frustrated her.

He'd finished the speech, promising that Stark Industries would continue to strive for greatness despite their CEO's absence.

But as the days passed, no information was heard. Just more calls from Rhodey telling them they were chancing another lead, more useless information that led to dead ends. Eventually, despite taking an extra week off school, Altaira eventually had to return.

She had been about ready to bash Séraphine's head in if the girl made another comment about her missing father, when the girl had decided to spread a rumour through the school that Tony Stark had not been captured, but rather had run away to create a new secret life because he hated Altaira so much (it would've hurt less if Altaira hadn't been having the same illogical insecurities since her father had been missing for more than three weeks).

Altaira set Séraphine's bed on fire.

After all, all's fair in love and war.

It had been utterly satisfying.

It had destroyed most of Séraphine's belongings, burned the entire room and half the rooms next to it. All in all, it had been quite a successful endeavour. When it was discovered that the start of the fire was caused by a burning blanket, lit by a cigarette lighter, Séraphine had immediately attempted to blame Altaira (not unwisely).

Unsurprisingly, even the Headmaster had treated this accusation seriously. Thankfully, they'd also been smart enough to keep the investigation hidden from the media.

It had made Altaira smile that they at least recognised she was crafty (read, volatile) enough to get retribution in such a manner, but they'd severely underestimated her if they thought she'd just let herself get caught by a camera.