True Love's Kiss: Part 4

Akko frowned as she glanced out the window of her hut, avoiding looking at the parchment sprawled across her table. The hem of her traditional cape bit into her neck, and her arms trembled as she gripped the window frame, elbows taut.

Her mouth tasted bitter, and unpleasant, and she glanced over at the cupboard where there were a few bowls of assorted fruits and a wheel of cheese. A chunk of bread, as well, if she could remember correctly. But she wasn't truly hungry. She found her eyes wandering back to the parchment, gulping and tearing them away from the delicate handwriting she knew so familiarly, the official wax seal now broken in two.

She felt sick to her stomach thinking about it; about what the letter had detailed for her.

        Akko,

I'm sorry. You must understand, if I could truly choose, I would choose you in a heartbeat, but.. it doesn't work like that. I'm to be married in two days time. I'll be queen in three.

I think it best we end this silly fantasy here and now. We're from different worlds, and we each have our own responsibility to those worlds.

Your people need a chief, and mine a queen. You need a cheiftan, or a chieftess, and I'm soon to have a husband. Needless to say, we cannot, and should not continue our rendezvouses.

I'm sorry Akko. I hope you find every happiness, but my obligation to my kingdom trumps my own personal desires. I hope you will be mature enough in this to understand, and accept my decision.

Goodbye.

Despite the harshness of the words in the letter, Diana couldn't help but she'd a tear as she attached the scroll to the carrier bird's ankle, the thing flying off to deliver her message. Akko would receive it by night fall, she knew, and Diana prayed there would be no correspondence. She couldn't handle it if Akko would not simply like down on the subject.

But then.. that was Akko of Blystonbury for you. She was never one to lie down; stubborn as an ox was she, and Diana loved it. Diana loved her.

Even if she could never say it.

The thought saddened her greatly, and Diana found herself weeping at her writing desk, the cold steel of her engagement ring heavy with obligation and cold with responsibility against her skin.

*** *** *** ***

Akko grunted as she dismounted her horse, Chariot, readjusting her cloak and traditional chieftan hat. The stable boy took the reins from her and led Chariot to the stable with the other guests' horses and carraiges.

Akko looked up at the castle from the front, used to seeing it from behind, or the side more often than not. She swalled, unsure if she was really prepared to witness this. To be a part of this. Her best friend.. her lover.. her true love, walking down the isle with someone else.

The bitter taste in her mouth returned.

Wordlessly, she filed into the castle with the other guests, taking a seat near the back.

She scowled as her eyes landed on Lord Andrew, her true love's husband-to-be. 'That should be me up there..' she found herself grumbling in her head. None the less, she relaxed her body a bit, sighing and leaning her head against the stone wall behind her.

She stayed that way until the music played, and she opened her eyes, sitting up and glancing behind her. Any and all words caught in her throat, and she felt her eyes prick with tears as she stared at Diana of House Cavendish in all of her radiance.

Her dress glowed white against her pale skin, white lace decorating the bodice, hugging the woman Akko knew to be perfect in every way, every curve, every inflection. The train flared out and trailed behind her at least ten feet, the veil about half that length, and pulled back over her beautiful waves of golden hair.

Akko bit her tongue, restraining herself from reaching out to her beloved. But she was patient. She gulped as Diana passed her, glancing her way. The woman seemed to stop momentarily, staring at Akko with a mix of sadness and longing that made Akko want to jump out of the piew and into her arms.

But Diana soon turned and continued down the isle, until she stood beside her groom, stoic as always.

"We are gathered here today-"

Akko blocked out the words. She urged herself to focus, to get ready, but it was so hard, seeing Diana like that.. her Diana.. next to Andrew. She shook her head. It wasnt right. That's why she was going to fix this.

"If there are any who object to the union of these two souls, speak now, or forever hold your peace." The minister said, looking out into the sea of guests. This was her chance, and yet.. Akko hesitated. This was Diana's wedding day.. did she really want to ruin this for her?

One look at the hopeful look on Diana's face told her all she needed to know. "I do!" She heard herself call, standing up in the piew. "I object to this union!"

There were gasps throughout the room as Diana turned to look at her, confused, but Akko could see the glimemr of appreciation and hope in her gorgeous eyes.

Akko left the piew, walking up the isle to Diana, determination clear in her expression. With no words, she walked up to Diana and got down on one knee in front of the princess.

"Diana, you cannot marry Andrew. You simply can't." She started, and Diana sighed. "Akko, we talk about this-"

"No, we didn't. You speak only of obligation and responsibilities to your kingdom when you talk about this marriage, and why we can't be together. Diana, what do you want in this life? Do you want to marry Andrew?"

Diana said nothing, and whispers filled the room. Ever so quietly, Diana looked down at the bottom of her dress as Akko took her hand. "..no. no I don't."

"Then marry me.." Akko whispered, looking up at her with big eyes. "Marry me, and be happy! Be happy, and still be the Queen your people know you will be. A good one." She squeezed her hands gently.

"Akko.." Diana looked pained. "We can't.. your village, and-"

"I've renounced my title as cheiftan of Blastyonbury." Akko said, removing her cap with one hand. "I've bequiethed my village to my council. What other reason is there now, for us not to be wed?" Akko looked up at her with pleading eyes as kneeled at her true love's feet.

Diana... Had no words. She couldn't think of an argument, a debate, a reason it couldn't be. She glanced over at Andrew, who had been rather patient, and was surprised to see him smiling. He gave her a single curt nod, and she turned back to Akko, nodding as tears came to her eyes.

"Okay... Okay, I'll do it. Let's marry, Akko.." she smiled. The brunette grinned, launching to her feet and pulling Diana into a passionate, loving, embrace, the entirety of the church, while confused, cheered.

And the rest is history.. The End.