Big News

I think it's high time for a little shift in perspective.

----

Teddy narrowed his eyes but kept focused on the girl in front of him. She did the opposite, widening her eyes slightly to accommodate her raised eyebrow. A second later, Teddy blinked, and people around him burst into cheers and roars. Across from him, Kari Staffington jumped on top of the bench she had been sitting on, hands raised high in the air in victory.

"You've got nothing on me, Teddy Lupin!" She crowed, waving her arms to rile up the crowd.

Teddy groaned but obliged with polite applause.

"Say it, Lupin!"

"Fine! Kari Staffington is the most talented, amazing witch there ever was and she is much better at staring contests than I will ever be." Teddy heard Reid snicker behind him and he was very tempted to put an elbow in his gut.

"Yeah, I am!" Kari grinned. It quickly faded, as the doors to the Great Hall opened, with Professor Arabella Hawk behind them.

"Miss Staffington!" She scolded as she walked over to the quickly dispersing crowd, "Benches are made for sitting, not standing, sit down immediately!"

Kari scrambled down and Teddy tried very hard to blend in. It would have worked if he hadn't been wearing Hufflepuff robes, but Professor Hawk turned on him next, "And Mr. Lupin, if you would please return to your own table."

Teddy nodded and let his features return to normal as he rushed back to the Hufflepuff table, where Graham was already sitting, hiding his face behind a book.

Satisfied, Professor Hawk swept away from the Slytherin table and up to the staff table for breakfast. Teddy breathed a sigh of relief. He liked Hawk as a professor, but she was probably the strictest teacher he'd ever had, and that included Professor McGonagall. He was surprised no one had even lost points from the spectacle they'd been making. Not that he'd meant for it to get so out of hand, but things at Hogwarts had been very slow as of late, which meant even staring contests between two loud-mouth second years was exciting.

Slowly piling food on his plate, Teddy kept one eye upwards, scanning for any sign of the family owl. It had been two days since his dad told him that his mom had passed out on the job and he hadn't heard word since. So when he finally spotted the owl, he dropped the serving utensil he'd been holding and stood, not wanting to wait any longer for news. He grabbed the letter from him and allowed him to eat something off his plate.

He ripped open the letter and read as quickly as he could, relieved that it was his mother's handwriting on the parchment.

Teddy,

Sorry it took so long to let you know what was going on. We had some details to take care of and we didn't want to tell you anything until we had it figured out. I know you must be worried out of your mind, but don't be! I'm perfectly fine, more than fine, actually. I wish I could tell you in person, but your father insisted you've missed enough school already,  and waiting until the winter holidays to tell you is just cruel!

Anyway! I guess the best way to do it is to just tell you, I'm pregnant!

There was more to the letter, but Teddy had dropped it and muttered a curse he'd heard his Uncle Harry use when Al had tried using the Floo without the Floo powder.

Graham looked at him with wide eyes and raised an eyebrow. Reid, having seen the look on Graham's face, rushed over and leaned over Teddy's shoulder, his breakfast plate in his hand.

"What happened that's got Graham looking like that? Not that he doesn't always look weird and freaky."

"I - uh. I'm... My..."