ii.

Evelina was led out to a small living room where a couple of teenagers were chatting. There were three boys and one girl, all of them having their respective quirks and oddities about them. The sight of all of them was endearing to the girl, she was not alone anymore. They were all like her.

Once Jean and Jubilee walked into the room, all of the attention was brought to the three girls. Evelina could see their questioning eyes, all of them wondering who the new girl was. She instantly felt insecure, wrapping her arms around herself like a barrier between the rest of the people in the room.

"Everyone, this is Evelina. She's new," Jubilee quickly explains and smiles brightly as the rest of the group smiles at the new person as well.

"Someone new. That's refreshing, we haven't had any new students since Storm and Birdy," one of the boys speaks up. He has a visor covering his face with one singular red stripe across the front. Evelina could detect the energy coming from him, especially his eyes. She guessed that was probably the reason he had the visor covering them.

"Hello, my name is Kurt," the blue furry one pops up and reaches out to shake hands with the new girl. She just stares before Jean breaks the tension.

"She doesn't like touching people. It's apart of her mutation," Jean quickly explains and Kurt pulls his hand away apologetically.

"Sorry," Evelina speaks up, and the rest just smile in understanding.

"It's alright, not all of us can control our mutations either," the girl with white hair speaks up. "I'm Storm."

"I'm Peter," the boy sitting with a cast over his leg cries out energetically.

"That leaves me," the visor boy says. "I'm Scott, the coolest one here."

The rest call out in disagreement, an argument breaking out in the middle of the room. It brings a smile to Evelina's face to see kids being so normal. She felt normal in this place. It was bliss.

The happiness did not last for long because Evelina had to call her parents about the school. Professor Xavier called her into his office and brings her over to the telephone to talk to her parents. Evelina was dreading this moment, having to speak to her parents. They loved her with all of their heart, but finding out that she was a mutant was the deal breaker. They moved away from her, letting her live life in solitude. They housed her for as long as they needed, only helping her out when it was necessary. Her parents were preparing to kick her out of the house at the age of eighteen.

"Mom?" Evelina mutters into the phone after the ringing stops.

"Evelina, where have you been? You missed school and people are telling me you killed someone. How could you have let this happen?" she shrieks into the phone, yelling profanities at the young girl.

"Mom, I've been admitted to a school for people like me," she says, speaking over her mother's yelling.

"Is that where you are? A freak house? That's too expensive, come home. You need to stop using your freaky powers and become normal again," her mother says harshly and Evelina flinches.

Charles takes the phone away from her and begins speaking to Evelina's rude mother.

"Miss, your daughter will do wonderfully at the school. It is free of charge, so please don't worry about that," he says and sighs when yelling comes through the phone. "Yes, we'll be happy to take her off your hands. Goodbye."

"Am I staying?" Evelina asks hesitantly.

"Of course you are and your mother was far too happy to let you leave. I am sorry, Evelina," Charles says and places a hand on the young girl's shoulder.

She shrugs and sighs, a weight lifting off her chest. At least she did not have to face their verbal abuse any longer.

"I'll get your schedule sent to you and you can decorate your room however you would like. Evelina, we are so happy to have you here," he says and pats her shoulder comfortingly.

"I'm happy to be here, Professor."

Evelina returns to her room without talking to Jean or the rest of them. She walks down the halls to her bedroom when a boy rushes around the corner. He bumps into her, pushing her to the ground along with himself. Her thoughts distracted her from sensing him, so she was completely caught off guard.

"Watch where you're going," he says gruffly and gets up, walking away quickly.

Evelina got up after him and could not keep her eyes off of him when he walked away. His stunning metal wings were glinting in the light of the sunlight, blinding her with the rays. It was amazing and she had never seen anything like it. She had never seen anything like him.