vi.

Evelina stared forward at the Professor, fear running through her veins. She was almost tempted to run away again, to escape this place but she knew that there was no other place for her. A calming feeling seems to wash over her and she acknowledges it as the Professor trying to calm her.

"Evelina, will you please walk with me?" Charles asked, a fatherly tone replacing his usual stern but friendly voice.

"Of course, Professor," she looks at Warren for a moment before joining the Professor, all of her friends staring in anticipation. Jean quickly begins herding everyone back in the mansion, she knew everything would be alright.

The two of them walked to the garden that Evelina adored, sitting on a bench near a bush of roses.

"Professor, I understand if you want to expel me," she mumbles, the fear in her chest clenching her lungs as she holds her breath.

"Evelina, I do not wish to expel you. I am
so sorry for startling you last night, it was my fault for not checking that all the kids were inside already," Evelina stares in shock at the man as he apologizes for her mistake.

"No, I should have known... I'm the one at fault," she hangs her head in defeat as Charles thinks for a moment.

"We are not like your parents, Evelina. We are not here to harm you, I am not here to punish you. Do not worry, dear. Your stay at the school is not going to be cut short," he says and smiles warmly at her. "Evelina, I know how you feel. You're afraid and misunderstood, but you're powerful and don't know how to control it. We're like a family here, we'll take care of you."

As Evelina listens to the Professor, her heart warms at the thought of having a family that did not treat her like she was some sort of pet, a real family. A sudden overwhelming feeling of happiness fills Evelina and she quickly hugs the Professor, small tears forming in her eyes.

"Thank you," she says softly.

The two return to the mansion, the Professor bidding his goodbyes as all of Evelina's friends quickly approach. Warren being the most eager, he gets to her first while Jean yells above all the talking.

"She's is fine, don't crowd her you heathens," she smiles at Evelina who looks up at Jean thankfully.

"Are you alright?" Warren quickly asks Evelina.

She nods and smiles up at Warren, hugging him slightly before turning to the rest of the group.

"I'm fine, you guys," she says softly and smiles. Everyone cheers and it slowly dies to as chatter fills the room.

"We should go to the mall!" Kurt suggests and everyone follows suit, running to their rooms to get ready. The only people left in the foyer is Warren and Evelina.

"Are you coming?" she asks softly, turning to the blond-haired boy.

Warren is still for a moment, silently thinking to himself. He wanted to go, he wanted to spend time with more people instead of the constant isolation that he subjected himself to, yet he was still afraid of himself because of the mistakes that he had committed in the past.

"I can't," he says softly, hanging his head in defeat as Evelina looks like a kicked puppy.

"Why not?" she asks him, hoping that her urging might persuade him.

"I just can't," he storms off down the hallway, Evelina watching him walk off with a saddened look on her face.

In that moment, Evelina feels stupid for even trusting anyone. She feels stupid for letting people in. She walks to Jean's room and knocks, displaying a false smile on her face. As Jean opens the door, she instantly knows something is wrong.

"You're not okay," she says and pulls Evelina into the room.

"I'm fine, Jean," Evelina walks into the room, her walk heavy.

Jean's eyes quickly flash red as she reads Evelina's mind for a moment.

"It's not your fault, Eve," she says and places her hand on Evelina's shoulder. The younger girl is instantly filled with a calming feeling as she looks up at Jean, sighing heavily.

"But he didn't want to come," she says and lays her head on Jean's shoulder.

"He's dealing with a lot, Eve. One day, he'll get comfortable enough to talk about his past and then you'll know," she gently pats Evelina's shoulder and the two silently hug before getting ready for the mall.

Hopefully the mall could get Warren off her mind.