iv.

"What the hell were you doing up there?" he yells out, his giant metal wings moving through the air around him.

Evelina simply stared in awe at the person in front of her. It was a surprise that her instinct to protect herself when touched did not trigger. He landed and placed her on the ground, grabbing her by the shoulders and shaking her.

"Are you stupid? Why were you up there?" he asks and Evelina flinches.

"I climbed up there," she says simply, pulling away from his grasp. Her arms wrap around herself in a mock protection, a placebo.

"I kinda guessed that," he says angrily and sighs harshly. "Whatever, I don't care."

Evelina stares at him as he begins to walk away, but her body is forced forward and she places a hand on his shoulder.

"Wait, thank you," she says simply and he looks back to nod. She smiles and nervously bites the inside of her cheek, not knowing what to say. Staring up at the boy, she saw him staring back and questioning why she stopped him.

"What's your name?" she asks and looks down at the ground staring at her hands as she picks at the nail beds.

"Warren. Warren Worthington. The Third," he says sharply, crossing his arms across his chest. "What were you doing in the tree?"

"Why do you want to know?" Evelina nervously shifts her weight from one foot to the other as she stares straight at the ground.

"Because it's not every day that a student makes it that high in a tree. Especially in the garden, no one goes here," he explains and Evelina can see his wings fluff up slightly as he talks. It was like they had a mind of their own. They were fascinating.

"I just wanted to be away from everybody," she says simply and shrugs, her eyes moving up to see the boy staring at her. Though his eyes were bright blue, they were also cold and calculating.

He nods slightly and sighs, letting down some of his barriers. She could see him relax slightly and it was nice. She liked seeing him not as stressed out, it was refreshing. He was refreshing. He was one of the first people that she has met who did not talk her ears off. Not that she was complaining, she loved her new friends. Friends, that was a new word in her vocabulary.

"I know the feeling," he mutters quietly as an awkward silence arrives between them.

Evelina looks up at him and smiles slightly.

"Wanna sit with me in the tree?" she asks softly, almost inaudibly. Warren hears it and stares in slight shock. Everyone was afraid of him because of what happened with Apocalypse and his wings were anything but feathery, so everyone avoided him.

Warren nods quicker than he can comprehend, taking her hand as she sticks it out.

"Are you gonna bring me up, or will I have to climb it again?" she asks with a coy smile.

A small grin breaks out on his face as he wraps his arms around her waist once again and brings them to the very top of the pine tree. Evelina could never get tired of it, the view was breathtaking.

The two stayed at the top of the tree until nightfall, talking once in a while. They did not talk that much, though. They simply enjoyed each other's company. It was beautiful. The experience was unlike anything that Evelina had felt. There was a wholehearted tranquility with nothing lacking. It was perfection. She could simply stare off and forget that she had powers, forget that she was not normal.

"We should go in," Warren says once the sun finally leaves and disappears below the horizon. The once pink and purple sky disappears into a dark blue as stars being to litter the night.

"I don't want to go. There are too many people," she says and does not bother to look up at Warren. She knew he was looking at her.

"I'll leave you alone, then. Good night, Lina," he says with a smile, beginning to fly off of the branches and into the free-flowing air.

"Lina?" she asks and frowns at Warren in slight confusion.

"It's a nickname, sweetheart," he says cheekily and lands on the ground, walking back to the school. Evelina simply grins and continues to stare out at the sky. All was well.

Returning to the school late at night was one of the worst ideas that Evelina has ever thought of. She did not know that there was a security system in place. A very good one to make sure that no students snuck out at night. She did not know it was there and triggered it in the middle of the night.

A loud siren goes off as Evelina opens the door. Her eyes widen as she realizes what is going on. A bunch of students begins to file out of their rooms, getting ready to face the threat head-on. Her heart drops to her stomach and she begins to freak out, her anxiety spiking through the roof. There were too many kids, too many people. She could sense the shift of color in her eyes as the number of people grew. Evelina saw Jean and Jubilee staring in confusion and in shock, but the young girl ran out of the house as quickly as possible and out of the campus entirely. She ran and ran until she did not know where she was. She was lost in the middle of the night in upstate New York.