v.

Evelina knew she was in the middle of the woods. It was dark and damp, the cool autumn breeze blowing through the trees. Sitting in between two trees, Evelina began processing the previous event. Her breathing was slightly labored after running so far and the panic had set in, making even more sparse. Evelina could still feel her heart beating quickly in her chest, the blood rushing through her body as the beating of her heart filled her ears. Her eyes fluttered closed to try and calm herself down, her hands reaching down to touch the grass, to touch any type of living thing. Instantly, she was filled with energy and it slowly calmed her down. Breathing in, Evelina could smell the dew of the grass and hear the chirping of distant birds. The different greens filled her vision as she opened her eyes. She was calm and she was in solitude.

She was not full of the worries and energies of others. All she could feel was plain life without all of the troubles and stress. Being a human with emotions was difficult. Laying down in the grass, Evelina stared up through the trees into the night sky. While her body was calmed down, her mind was far from that. The only thing she could think about was those kids and how scared they looked. She was a monster, she did not belong at the school.

She was a danger to the school, especially the kids. She belonged away from everyone, alone in isolation. She could suck the life out of anything, so why would the Professor even keep her there in the first place? These thoughts filled her head until morning when she was woken up by the sound of leaves crackling around her.

Her eyes shot open to see Jean and a familiar blonde boy standing above her.

"Evelina, thank god you're okay," Jean says and hugs the girl tightly. Evelina sits in shock for a moment cringing at the physical contact. After the previous night, touching anyone was the last thing on her mind.

"Sorry," she says and smiles, projecting calm emotions onto the girl. It was the least that she could do for her, but Jean did not want to control the girl. Evelina had to figure out how to do that on her own.

"I'm so sorry, Jean. Really. I messed up bad and I don't belong at the school. I understand if the Professor wants me to leave," she says and retreats back into her shell, stepping away from the two teenagers.

"Oh, he wants the complete opposite, Eve. He wants to help you so that you don't have to feel this anymore. Both him and I understand what it feels like to be out of control, so we want to help you gain control," Jean explains and begins to reach out slowly.

Evelina breaths in deeply, trying to control herself. She could feel the energy and life coming from Jean and it was incredible. Jean really did not understand how powerful she was, but that was beside the point. The brown haired girl reached out and hugged Jean, silent tears streaming down her face. Jean always knew what to say when Evelina was not feeling at her best. Opening her tear-filled eyes, Evelina sees Warren standing there awkwardly, staring at the two girls. A small smile grows on her face as she pulls away from Jean's embrace.

"What are you doing here?" she asks timidly, letting a few strands of hair fall in her face.

"I was worried about you. You're my new tree partner," he says comically, instinctively reaching out to push the hair out of her face.

The two of them freeze in place while this occurs, Warren pulling his hand back quickly as if she had burned him. The two were not that comfortable with each other, but with everything that had happened, it certainly felt that way. Jean's face goes stagnant for a moment before she comes back to reality.

"Sorry, guys, the Professor is calling me. Warren, why don't you walk with Jean back to the mansion," Jean says and begins levitating, a red aura surrounding her as she flies away.

"But, Jean... I," Warren sighs as she floats away, looking over at Evelina. There is a pregnant pause, the two standing and trying to figure out what to say.

"I'm sorry for what happened, I didn't mean to wake everyone. I feel like a monster," she mumbles and wraps her arms around herself, receding back into her shell once more. Her only comfort blanket was gone, she flew away in a red mist.

Warren instantly looks over to her with a crazed expression.

"Are you crazy? Lina, you are the furthest from a monster," he says in astonishment. "If anything, I feel like a monster with my metal wings. Everyone thinks I'm a threat."

"You're not. I don't think about you that way," Evelina says as she shakes her head furiously.

Approaching Warren, the brown-haired girl moves slowly to make sure that he knows that he can move away at any moment. She reaches out and takes a deep breath before wrapping her arms around Warren in a hug. Evelina has never really hugged anyone besides her parents, but they did not care about her now. She had no family, and she wanted to make friends. She also sympathized with Warren, he was as lonely as she was. Maybe two lonely people could become two best friends, at least that was what she was hoping for.

Warren stayed silent, his body unmoving. Evelina could only hear his heart beating steadily and speeding up slightly at the physical contact. He reaches up and carefully places his arms around her as well, just allowing the embrace to happen. At the moment, they were not worrying. The two of them were just being.

"Let's go back," Evelina mumbles into Warren's shirt, looking up at him as she tilts her head up to look at his face.

"Are you sure? You don't have to go if you're not ready," he says softly, his usually gruff voice softened just for her.

"I'm ready. We'll protect each other from the judgemental people. They'll wish they were as bomb as us," a small smile breaks out on her face as the two of them nod in unison.

"Wanna fly?" he asks, almost resembling the excitement of a child at the idea.

"If I'm not too heavy for you," Evelina squeaks out, her cheeks flushing.

"Of course not," he says and scoops her up in his arms, his metal wings beginning to flap as they start to take off into the blue sky.

Evelina wrapped her arms around Warren, her eyes closing as they got higher up into the air. The winds pick up, her hair blowing behind her as she enjoys being in the sky for a moment as Warren flies back to the school. There, Evelina sees Charles waiting patiently with a stern look on his face. She is in so much trouble.