Everything

Hello, everyone! I'm back with Chapter 4 of The Following Years in Love. I've been really inspired lately, and have found myself looking forward to writing. I would also like to thank you all for your support of my works. April has been my most popular month in my four years of writing, with over 300 views! It truly puts a smile on my face when I check my statistics. As always, RATE, REVIEW, and FOLLOW if you like this chapter. Enjoy!

Nick's POV:

I woke up bright and early on this crisp November day. Looking at the clock on the mantle in the living room, it was about five past seven. The sun was starting to rise, on this day, which wasn't just another day. Today, November 4, 1927, is Jordan and I's fifth wedding anniversary.

It hardly seems like five years, but it also feels like a lifetime. I can't remember my life without Jordan, and quite frankly, I don't want to. But, it seems like just yesterday that I asked her to marry me. When I look at the rate Catherine is growing, I quickly remember that Jordan and I have experienced so much together, and I am truly, forever grateful.

For our anniversary, we're spending the weekend at the Grand Hotel in the Catskill Mountains. As much as we would miss Catherine, Jordan and I are in definite need of alone time.

I brought the last of Jordan's bags to the car, and suddenly, I hear a car come up the driveway. I turn around, and it's Jordan's mother arriving to watch Catherine for the weekend. Jordan was ecstatic that her mother offered to come up from Louisville to take care of our little Kitty, and it made me happy to see that Jordan and Sybil were getting along.

Jordan and her mother have had their share of disagreements, but Sybil Baker has mellowed with age, and was a doting grandmother to Catherine.

I walked over to the car to let Sybil out.

"Good Morning, Sybil. How was your drive up?"

About five years ago, I thought that Jordan was the most frightening woman that I had ever met. I was wrong. Her mother is most definitely the most frightening woman that I have ever met.

She had on a long mink fur coat, and was decorated in fine silk and jewelry. Her hair is dark like Jordans however hers had a few streaks of white. Of course, I would never tell her that, as she would probably bite my head off. She pulled her sunglasses down the the tip of her nose, and looked at me.

"Well Nick, I'm awfully tired, since you two insisted on leaving so early, but I'm just dying to see my granddaughter. Where's Jordan? Oh, do grab my bags would you?" She said as she walked up to the house.

Just as I was bringing out all of our bags, I was now bringing in more bags into the house. I guess I was the butler of the day. If only Jordan would hurry up so we can leave and get a little quiet.

Jordan's POV:

I sat down on Catherine's bed to try and console her. She didn't like being apart from Nick and I, but I didn't expect her to be this upset.

Her hair was tangled, as she just woke up, and she had on her long flannel nightgown with a big white bow on the front. She truly is the most precious sight, but the tears rolling down her soft cheeks were enough to break my heart.

"But Mumma, I don't want you and Daddy to go..." Catherine said as tears cascaded down her face.

I pat her head, and ran my hand through her hair; "Oh sweetheart, everything is going to be just fine. Daddy and I will be back before you know it!"

"I want to come too..." She said as her lip quivered.

I just assumed to bring Catherine along, but Nick was insistent that just him and I go. Luckily, my mother was coming to watch Catherine.