9) Writing BoyXBoy

Writing BoyXBoy

Writing boyXboy is no different from writing a boyXgirl story.

At the same time, it's completely different. Depending on what exactly we're discussing. Right now, we're going to discuss the basics and less graphic parts of it because, while the smex is great and all, you can't write a good boyXboy story if you're basing all your knowledge on yaoi manga.

What is yaoi manga? Yaoi manga are Japanese comics based solely on gay relationships and the sexual content of it. Yaoi manga usually have the running theme of "I become gay" or "no stop let's not okay nevermind". While yaoi manga is pretty fun to read and good for a quick enjoyment, it's not generally how real gay relationships work out.

Let's start with the fact that you need to completely abandon the idea that there is a set "top" and a set "bottom". Oh sure, there are preferences. Someone can prefer "top" or "bottom" (known to yaoi fans as "seme" (top) and "uke" (bottom)), but there is no set title. That's just silly, seriously. Men can easily switch depending, again, on preference (known to yaoi fans as "seke" (both)).

Also, you don't "become gay". Like, what even. You don't wake up one morning, stretch, put your hands on your hips and say, "I think today I'm gonna become gay". It doesn't work like that. If you need proper teaching, I recommend the American Dad episode "Lincoln Lover" for a fun take on the subject. Your character can struggle to accept it, sure, that's fine. A lot of people struggle to accept their sexual orientation because society has engrained into our minds that "straight way is the only way".

Next, just because your character is gay doesn't mean he has to carry a pink purse, itsy bitsy teeny weenie Chihuahua, and listen to Whitney Houston on weekends. Gay men are contantly labeled with the stereotype of being completely "feminine", which isn't wrong for some guys, but can be for others. Contrary to the popular stereotype, men are still men. You need to understand men before you can write about them.

So for those of you with the mindset "all men are evil", need to read the chapter on people watching and maybe actually talk to a guy to get to know them. Men are complex, just like women, and just as interesting. They value the same things, and different things, as women. And again, it all depends on the individual. Humans as a whole are complex and intriguing. 

But basically, just know that men probably don't think like you and don't have to wear Prada heels to be gay. Gay guys can also be leather wearing, cigar smokin', WWE fighters who don't take your shit. Even better? Just because a gay guy is tough and badass does not mean he is a "top". He can easily be a "bottom", just like a femnine guy can be a "top" (again, "top" and "bottom" are really just preferences).

So, when developing a plot for your boyXboy story, try not to use yaoi manga plots. Getting inspiration from them is fine, but doing the typical "becoming gay" and "seme and uke" thing isn't really how things work in real life. "Top" and "bottom" are preferences. Gay men come in all different varieties (just like everyone else).

Oh yeah, and there's a second part to this for 18+

Not that people will pay attention to the 18+ because, you know, rebels and stuff.