11) Criticism VS Douchebaggery

Criticism VS Douchebaggery

Criticism is an analysis of what you write. It's meant to help you, to encourage you to work harder. As a writer, you should never settle for "decent". Strive for knock-your-socks-off awesome. So always be prepared for criticism, to take it into consideration, no matter how much it galls you.

Oh yeah, you just want to rant and rave and destroy the house when you get criticism. Sometimes it can be really upsetting when someone points out a fault in your story. It hurts. You worked so hard on that and someone just has to come along and point out your mistakes. No one likes being told they messed up, and no one really likes to admit they need help. But sometimes, the critic could be right.

Take the time to read what the person is saying. Consider that maybe, just maybe, they could be right. And if they aren't, that's okay. Explain to them what your intention was, but be polite and mature about it. No need to get all riled up and lash out when someone is just trying to help. It might turn out that the critic was right and just helped you improve your writing!

And if you plan to pursue a career in writing, you really need to step up the game when it comes to accepting criticism. One of my favorite authors actually had the publisher return her maniscript and inform her to quit writing altogether because it was "the worst thing he'd ever read". The writing world isn't all rainbows and glitter. There are moments when you question why you're even doing it in the first place, but don't let it get to you. That same author ended up publishing that work after she made some major changes that greatly improved her work.

As a writer, there is always room for improvements.

And once you've reached that moment of pure elation, when you and the readers know it's a work of art, then you can sit back and realize "this is why I write". To make an awesome story that both you and your readers can be proud of.

However, there is one thing you should know.

Douchebaggery is not criticism. What do I mean when I say "douchebaggery"? I mean, those nasty little comments that are meant to hurt you and your story. The ones that are meant to embarrass you and make you wish you were never born. The comments that usually say something along the lines of "ew this is gross and stupid and you should die" or "this sucks". Those are not criticism. Those are harmful comments meant to challenge your patience and ability to smack a ho.

Don't take the bait. People who make comments like that are just sad, sad little people with no life and feed on hatred. Really, they just deserve your pity... and maybe a lethal dose of sarcasm.

Not that I'm encouraging the act of violently retaliating. Usually it just adds fuel to the fire when it comes to those comments. The best way to solve this is the awesome "delete" button for those kinds of comments.

You're a writer. You want proper feedback and commentary, not angry little children clawing at your shirt sleeve.

So remember: Criticism is meant to help you. Douchebaggery is meant to be ignored.