10) Writing BoyXBoy (18+)

Writing BoyXBoy (18+)

Welcome to the 18+ version of the previous chapter.

Here, I will discuss the subject that has a lot of boyXboy writers, and sometimes readers, squirming in their seats. Society has taught us that discussing sex is actually a major no-no. It's a naughty and dirty act that you should abstain from. Even some schools refuse to teach their students about sexual education because apparently it's the devil's work.

Whoever implemented this idea is wrong, but let's not point fingers.

Sex isn't something to be ashamed of. At the same time, it's not something you should do on a subway either. A message to all those skirt flippers on subways in manga, am I right? But yeah, no, anyway.

Let's start out with the age thing. I know, I know.

"AGE IS JUST A NUMBER IT DON'T MATTER".

That's your opinion. The law, however, disagrees with you. So, when you are writing a boyXboy story, let's try to keep the age legal in your area. In my area, sixteen is the legal age of consent. If you don't know what it is in your area, I recommend you look it up. Anything below might actually make some readers cringe and squirm in discomfort. This isn't a shota manga (for the love of god, don't look that up if you aren't prepared for dirty scenes involving younguns').

In fact, I probably took a major risk with one of my characters who suffers from a similar situation that the chick from The Orphan did, in which he is over eighty-years-old, but trapped in the body of a child. That was so bad. Bad, Rotty.

Anyway, let's move onto the actual sex part, which will be explained with less than appropriate analogies both for Wattpad and your entertainment.

Sex isn't like it is in the manga where you just whip it out and stick it in. You're not sticking your finger in a peanut butter jar all willy-nilly. That's unsafe, painful, and can cause discomfort. Again, in the mangas, saliva seems to be enough, and it might be for some people, but it's not safe enough for a lot of dudes. You need lubrication or it will hurt. And it's generally uncomfortable at first, especially depending on the position.

And here is a biggy when it comes to writing sex scenes in a boyXboy novel:

Don't make it so graphic that it actually gets boring. Yes, it's true. You CAN make a sex scene boring to the point where readers will skip over it. By making it graphic, I mean describing everything right down to the color and and each thrust.

You can be graphic, but not obsessively. Sex isn't all about the physical. There is a lot of mental process that goes into it. They could be in complete ecstasy. They could be scared. They could be nervous, self-conscious. They could feel beautiful, powerful, at the height of climax. They could be whispering sweet nothings that might be nice to mention if it is particularly significant to the character and storyline.

In fact, you don't need to get detailed if it makes you uncomfortable. Softcore is just as good as hardcore. BoyXBoy stories are not all about sex. Emotions, thought processes, those are extremely important as well. Always remember to pay attention to those, even in the midst of a sex scene.

And tips on wording:

Don't friggin' use the word "dick". It's informal and for some reason, a major turn off to read in a sex scene. Most of the guys I've spoken to, also, do not refer to it as a "dick" very often. There are other words you can use to describe the organ. Seriously. Oddly enough, the word "cock" is even better. Member, erection, the list isn't infinite, but it's to the point where you really don't need to use dirty words to describe it.

Also, it's fine to use the F-word in dialogue or a thought process, but when you're describing the act, it's not really a good word to use. Descriptions should be a little more formal than the dialogue or thoughts.

It also causes Wattpad to have an aneurysm. Wattpad is programmed to pick up on certain words and instantly jump all over you like a baboon on crack if you so much as use the F-word more than they appreciate it. Which is why I'm not using it now. Rebelliousness can only go so far before a chapter is labeled as "private" *mutter mutter*

The best chance for flexiblity is setting your rating to R, and using less swear words. I get swear words are fun to use, but sometimes, they really aren't necessary. Too many swear words can turn someone off.

But anyway, keep in mind to use proper wording. You don't have to use scientific terms to describe the sex, but you don't need to swear like a sailor either. Be careful of Wattpad's trigger words. Rate it R and warn your readers that there is graphic adult content in your summary or author's note, especially if the sex involves types of fetishes. Always let the reader know. 

And, remember that sex doesn't make the story. The story makes the story.