Chapter 2

-Sheffield, England, Two Years Prior-

A 20 year old Bonnie stood nervously outside of the main office of the Daily Star Newspaper. It was her first day interning at the popular Sheffield newspaper and she knew that she couldn't mess this up - she desperately needed the experience if she ever hoped of becoming a journalist. Smoothing down the soft wool of her houndstooth miniskirt and straightening the Peter Pan collar of her pink cotton blouse, Bonnie drew in a deep breath and attempted to stride in with dignity, but that failed when her battered combat boot caught on the doorframe and sent her stumbling.

Red blossomed on Bonnie's cheeks, 'Why must I be clumsy now?' she groaned mentally, looking up quickly to see if anyone noticed her stumble. To her luck, everyone was too busy congregating around the coffee machine to pay the embarrassed young woman any notice. Bonnie hurried on, desperate to get to her superior's private office before she embarrassed herself even further.

Reaching the doors of the office, Bonnie patted her hair carefully, making sure her chignon was still in place, and knocked timidly on the door.

"Enter!" Came the order, the voice almost sickeningly sweet. Bonnie slowly pushed open the door and entered the cream office.

The office was contained numerous shelves holding many odd little trinkets and nick-nacks nearly over spilling. There were many little picture frames dotted around, all containing or focusing on one smiling bottled blonde.

Sat behind a cheap wooden desk in the centre of the room was said bottled blonde. The nameplate on her desk read 'Betty Summers - Head Journalist (World News)'. This was the woman Bonnie had to make it past if she ever wanted to be a journalist and her articles to be published.

"You must be Beryl, right?" Betty asked, using her perfectly manicured nails to bring her winged glasses down her slim nose, peering over the top at Bonnie with her oddly pale green eyes.

"Erm... I-it's B-Bonnie actually..." Bonnie stuttered.

"Whatever. I'm Betty Summers, I'm basically in charge of this whole floor. I decide what happens and what stories are printed." Betty gestured for Bonnie to sit down on the green leather-backed seat in front of her (which she did quickly and without falling over) and leaned forward, elbows on the desk and hands linked. "Now, intern is basically a fancy way of saying errand girl. Your job is to get people coffee, file and do whatever is asked of you. Got it?"

Bonnie nodded, a strand of green-tinted hair falling out of her chignon and into her eyes. Betty's eyes zeroed in on Bonnie's hair, furrowing her eyebrows at the odd colouring.

"What the hell is up with your hair? Dye it a normal colour or something, we don't need people thinking we hire freaks." Betty stated bluntly. Bonnie nodded rapidly, avoiding eye contact.

Three knocks on the door stopped Betty from commenting on anything else. Betty stood, brushing wrinkles from her burgundy silk miniskirt in one quick motion and striding confidently in her stiletto heels to the door and opening it, having a quick discussion with the person on the other side.

Closing the door, Betty turned around to address Bonnie.

"Milo, our resident photographer needs my help with something, I'll be back in a second." She told the younger girl, pulling her oversized man-style blouse lower to reveal more cleavage. Obviously she found this Milo guy attractive... or attractive enough to flirt with. "Don't touch anything or you'll be outta here quicker than you can say 'front page news'." Betty threatened, fluffing her hair and leaving.

Bonnie was now alone. Curiously, she examined the desk in front of her closer than her quick scan on entering the room allowed.

The desk was messy, covered in files, more nick-nacks and a few empty pink mugs with different pictures of cats on. On the side closest to Bonnie on the right sat a lonely blue Orchid plant, wilted, obviously only going to live for another couple of days due to lack of care. It had a couple of hopeful buds left that had no hope of blooming. Bonnie frowned, hating the fact that such a gorgeous plant had been left to die...

'It couldn't hurt to maybe help the plant out a bit... I doubt Betty would notice a difference...' Bonnie thought, reaching out two fingers to stroke the stem of the Orchid and concentrating. As soon as her fingers touched the plant, the stem straightened and turned greener, no longer the dry brown colour. The buds bloomed, revealing the a gorgeous electric blue flower. Bonnie smiled to herself, pleased with the result... Until a gasp came from behind her. Turning around sharply, amber orbs connected with wide pale green ones.

"What did you just do to my plant? It was dead before!" Betty exclaimed.

"I-I didn't d-do anything! I s-swear!" Bonnie tried to defend herself, but to no avail.

"Don't try and pull one over on me! I saw you! You touched my plant and it came back to life! It was practically dead before!" Betty screeched shrilly.

"N-no! Really, I-I did nothing!"

"Yes you did! You... You... You freak! We actually hired a freak!"

The word 'freak' caused Bonnie to flinch. That was a word that followed her like a lost puppy in her childhood.

"D-does this m-mean I'm fired?" Bonnie asked, disappointment and pain lacing her quiet words.

"Luckily for you, freak, I don't have the that kind of power here and none of the higher ups would believe me... And you won't exactly reveal your party trick to them would you?" Betty chuckled bitterly.

Bonnie sighed, glad that her ability wouldn't cost her her job... Again.

"But that doesn't mean things will be okay between us now I know this... Oh no, freak. I'm going to make your life hell for daring to dirty this office with your... Your freakish filth!"

And from that day on, Betty stuck to her promise. Bonnie just took whatever Betty threw her way in silence. She wouldn't be able to become a journalist if she gave up now.