Chapter 5: What's to Come

When she finally got to the arena, Azriel saw Julia staring at it with awe as well as a small sparkle of hurt; this wasn't the first time she'd been put in such a situation.

"What do you think they're going to use this for?"
"Thinking about the note that I assume Cain left us on the armory rack, I bet that he's going to make us fight in there against each other in front of the others and possibly his allies or friends too.
"You really think so?", she asks with a hint of fear in her voice.
Azriel couldn't reply in a way that would reassure her, so she decided to just stay quiet.

After a few moments of silence, Julia turned around and walked away without a word. Azriel knew it was dangerous to let her mind wander at a time like this, but she couldn't help it.

Thinking back to the day everyone was either taken or killed, the vivid image of her mother and little brother being killed in front of her reappeared in her mind. The only part of the entire ordeal that she'd been grateful of was that her other five brothers, Shire, Noah, Josh, Caleb, and Austin, had escaped the ordeal with minor injuries and had been dragged to the camp with everyone else.

Hearing someone clear their throat behind her, and now having a weapon again, her reflexes kicked in as she spun on her heels, sword drawn at an angle that would strike her attacker's throat; an instant kill. Her assailant, despite having had seconds to react, was able to dodge it nonetheless.

"You've got nice reflexes; I think they'll get you far in the coming weeks."

It was Cain.

"The hell is that supposed to mean?"
Before he continued, he leaned in and half-whispered into her ear,"You'll see with all the others."

Sending a chill down her spine, she turned her head to see him walking away and clearly leaving Azriel befuddled. As she started to follow Cain towards the dining hall to prepare for dinner, she began to think about her skills. What was all that about? Putting the thought out of her mind, she started thinking of a plan. She hadn't trained seriously for a week straight, and feared that she was losing her technique and muscle mass. First thing tomorrow she would double her training regiments.

As she walked back to the cabin, plan in mind, Cain's words echoed in her mind, they'll get you far in the coming weeks. She sure hoped that he was right for once.